• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why chase contractors when there's more money to be made elsewhere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why chase contractors when there's more money to be made elsewhere

BBC News - Calling time on alcohol smuggling and drinks duty fraud

Found this really interesting, I stumbled on this after reading about the Arctic systems case and distribution of dividends when you're married etc. Seems like they could devote there resources to a more worthwhile cause as per usual I'm probable late to the party on this one but then I'm living in Zurich
    In Scooter we trust

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

Found this really interesting, I stumbled on this after reading about the Arctic systems case and distribution of dividends when you're married etc. Seems like they could devote there resources to a more worthwhile cause as per usual I'm probable late to the party on this one but then I'm living in Zurich
    I would think this is far easier to combat too. The guilty ones are most likely the cheapest. Just go after them week in, week out. Confiscate the booze. Big fines not jail for the offenders and then re-sell the goods to legit retailers with the profit going back into the Revenue pot.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      I would think this is far easier to combat too. The guilty ones are most likely the cheapest. Just go after them week in, week out. Confiscate the booze. Big fines not jail for the offenders and then re-sell the goods to legit retailers with the profit going back into the Revenue pot.
      That's a superb idea, I can't remember which one of my friends mentioned it but they said that anything customs finds over the allowance limits when you fly back to the UK from being holiday alledgedly they destroy surely that can't be true?
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

That's a superb idea, I can't remember which one of my friends mentioned it but they said that anything customs finds over the allowance limits when you fly back to the UK from being holiday alledgedly they destroy surely that can't be true?
        It is true or certainly used to be. I did some work at a company that produced OB vehicles for the BBC a long, long time ago. Amongst other things, they had a contract with Customs where all the imported prOn that was seized came back to their depot for destruction. They used to employ temps and give them hammers to do the job with lol (Of course NONE of it was redistributed haha). The customs guys said that any contraband was always destroyed.
        Last edited by tractor; 11 October 2012, 10:20.

Comment

yeah but the Romanian mafia have guns, being hit with a laptop bag by an irate contractor is less risky.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            The customs guys said that any contraband was always destroyed.
            Surely it would be better to redistribute it for sale and put the money into the UK
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              yeah but the Romanian mafia have guns, being hit with a laptop bag by an irate contractor is less risky.
              Very true but then I suppose they could kill two birds with one stone as they would be tackling crime and immigration at the same time. Idealistic though it sounds these gangs from Eastern Europe and elsewhere shouldn't be allowed to operate here in the first place.

I'll be sure to put a brick in my laptop bag from now on
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Surely it would be better to redistribute it for sale and put the money into the UK
                The first time some nutter with a grievance against imperial aggression by the West / animal rights / HMRC had the bright idea of smuggling a case of alcohol that had been deliberately poisoned, in the knowledge it would be confiscated and sold on by HMRC, would put paid to that sort of scheme. You can't just assume that products you confiscate satisfy the same quality and safety requirements as those that are imported legally.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                  The first time some nutter with a grievance against imperial aggression by the West / animal rights / HMRC had the bright idea of smuggling a case of alcohol that had been deliberately poisoned, in the knowledge it would be confiscated and sold on by HMRC, would put paid to that sort of scheme. You can't just assume that products you confiscate satisfy the same quality and safety requirements as those that are imported legally.
                  Correct, the only way to deal with it is to sell it back to the manufacturer and subject it to QC once again. That would probably put paid to any financial benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                    Fair point I was looking at it too simply, like buying additional while you're at the airport in the hope you won't get caught as obviously the stuff there would be legitimate
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X