• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wierd household electrical fault

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd household electrical fault

Got woken up last night by the bedroom light flashing. It worked properly when switched on but when switched off, it kept flashing about every 5 seconds. It's ok this morning.

Eh? I can understand a light staying on due to a wiring fault, or flickering if there was a partial short but a totally regular flashing? Any genius CUK ideas?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Got woken up last night by the bedroom light flashing. It worked properly when switched on but when switched off, it kept flashing about every 5 seconds. It's ok this morning.

Eh? I can understand a light staying on due to a wiring fault, or flickering if there was a partial short but a totally regular flashing? Any genius CUK ideas?
    You are about to win the lottery?

Comment

I would say you were abducted by aliens last night. The flashing was the spaceship landing. Is your bum sore?

Comment

Have you checked your wardrobe? There might be a terminator in there.

Comment

You've not built your house on a graveyard?
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Have you tried tuning it off and on again?

EDIT: Oooooh my 6,666th post!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

its a CFL / LED and the dimmer / switch is damp.

they have fairly low current requirements and a damp switch (humidity) passes enough to strike but once its ignites it dries the path.

used to happen occasionally on my bedroom light when having a shower. better exhaust Fan fixed it.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I don't know what caused your lighting issues, but it appears to have been the day for weird electrical problems. I was on the 'phone yesterday, when I heard a loud bang from one side of the room, followed by some intermittent low-volume hissing noises. I wasn't sure if a plug fuse had blown, or if there had been some air trapped in my radiator that'd suddenly been released, or what.

It turned out, after I'd managed to pin down the source of the recurrent but intermittent hissing noise some hours later, that one of the 'AAA' batteries in the wireless keyboard that I use for my media PC / projector combo had exploded. The battery cover is sellotaped on so I wouldn't lose it when I was transporting it in my car for a presentation one time, so it didn't manage to blow the cover clean off.

Going by the loudness of the initial explosion, the subsequent state of the battery, and the fact it was still hissing and oozing out acid some hours later, it must have been quite a bit of energy that got released. You wouldn't think that so much energy could be built up in such a tiny battery.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Have you tried tuning it off and on again?

EDIT: Oooooh my 6,666th post!
                  Yup 666....it's all hanging together

Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 October 2012, 13:00.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Was it a dream?

Comment

Working...
                    X