• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting work without signed contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting work without signed contract

Hi, i am due to start a contract on Monday, but am concerned as the agency has not yet sent the contract through for signing.
    Would it be advisable to turn up on Monday if by any chance the contract had still not been signed?
    For info, I have reviewed a previous version of the contract - the new one should just have the start/end dates amended.

Thanks

Phone the pimp (not email, it takes them ages to spell the words out as they drag their finger across the screen) and tell them you won't be attending the client site unless the contract is signed. That should get them moving.

If it doesn't, email the client (they can probably read) and let them know you won't be arriving on Monday because the agent hasn't sorted the contract out. If their reaction doesn't get the agent moving, nothing will.

Comment

I've signed them on the morning, having seen the prior draft.

Don't do any work though until you sign on the line that is dotted.

Comment

Have you had it reviewed by QDOS or such like.

I would think normally the threat of not turning up would make this appear quickly. I wouldn't advocate turning up if you haven't though. Wouldn't be the first gig that disappeared between signing and turning up.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't even entertain turning up on site without a signed contract being in place first. In the past I have started 1 to 2 days later than the client expected because the dopey agent didn't sort the contract out on time

Comment

Once again I'm the black sheep.

I often start contracts without them being signed, because the agents seem not to care about anything other than the client signing.

Agents , in my view, do sod all and what they do do (other than the initial pitch and placement) is slow and error riddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

I often start contracts without them being signed, because the agents seem not to care about anything other than the client signing.

Agents , in my view, do sod all and what they do do (other than the initial pitch and placement) is slow and error riddled.
              I will be starting a gig on Wednesday without a contract but I know the intermediary consultancy and end client very well.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I would start the gig without signing. If the client lets you on site there is proof that there is a bonafide contract.

In my view unless you really do have something better to do at home or an alternative contract you're throwing money down the drain.

There's a slight risk that the client might cancel, but what have you got to lose, apart from some afternoon telly and in any case a verbal contract is a legally binding contract. I mean if you have the opportunity to go surfing on Bondi Beach I would certainly do that....but it is October and you're in the UK.

Of course check with the agency before you go in. If you turn up and the start date is next week you'll have a wasted journey.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 October 2012, 15:54.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

And you starting on site without a signed contract makes all this acceptable?

You shouldn't give a stuff what anyone things. You get a contract signed and get your own ass covered. **** everyone else and their poor attitudes.

How do you get them reviewed for IR35? ... Oh wait.... never mind.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And you starting on site without a signed contract makes all this acceptable?

You shouldn't give a stuff what anyone things. You get a contract signed and get your own ass covered. **** everyone else and their poor attitudes.

How do you get them reviewed for IR35? ... Oh wait.... never mind.
                    I don't get contracts reviewed.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X