• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay your fair share of tax - everyone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay your fair share of tax - everyone

So the Government has mandated that anyone freelancing in the public sector and BBC pays their 'fair share' of tax and doesnt use any avoidance mechanisms.

Fair enough but if this 'no avoidance' rule is applicable to small companies and freelancers then why doesnt it apply to larger companies too?

If Vodafone legally but aggressively avoided 5 billion in tax with overseas tax havens then this too is still avoidance.

Surely they CANNOT do work for the public sector either? Its the same thing but bigger.

Surely ANY and every entity working for the public sector must submit its tax and accounting records to prove that it hasnt 'aggressively avoided' tax - and I think this can be taken to mean any artificial transfers of profit to low tax regimes in just the same way as potentially deemed employees artificially pretending to be companies.

Ditto any company or bank that ADVISES people on how to do this - surely they are not fit to do ANY government work either whilst teaching others how to avoid their fair share?

Im sure all the big UK companies will be 100% behind this fair and easy to follow principle.

And finally - surely no one can stand for parliament or the lords whilst also not paying their fair share?

Anyone found to be using tax law to aggressively avoid say, inheritance tax, by use of 'trusts' and other shells should immediately pay their full, fair and maximum share of inheritance tax right now or stand down?

No tax avoidance - or no public sector work.

Its a nice rule and will be so interesting if they actually apply fairly and across the board.

Hilda

Its easier to pick on small faceless PSC's than big multi nationals who can threaten to move their head quarters overseas and lose out on all the jobs that would go with it
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We're not talking about stopping them work in the UK, or even increase their taxes.

Just the principle that the public sector has a duty to ensure that those it gives money to pay their fair share of taxes. Surely the big companies cant argue with that?

In any case it kinda seems like they are sending the jobs overseas (or bringing the overseas worker over here) anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by hildaoblivion View Post
        We're not talking about stopping them work in the UK, or even increase their taxes.

Just the principle that the public sector has a duty to ensure that those it gives money to pay their fair share of taxes. Surely the big companies cant argue with that?

In any case it kinda seems like they are sending the jobs overseas (or bringing the overseas worker over here) anyways.
        Do you really think if the Govt went to war on Vodafone they would stay on shore?!

The PS has a duty to offer the best value for money for the tax payer, if that is Vodafone its someone elses problem that they don't pay the right amount of tax back.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

So the Government has mandated that anyone freelancing in the public sector and BBC pays their 'fair share' of tax and doesnt use any avoidance mechanisms.

Fair enough but if this 'no avoidance' rule is applicable to small companies and freelancers then why doesnt it apply to larger companies too?

If Vodafone legally but aggressively avoided 5 billion in tax with overseas tax havens then this too is still avoidance.

Surely they CANNOT do work for the public sector either? Its the same thing but bigger.

Surely ANY and every entity working for the public sector must submit its tax and accounting records to prove that it hasnt 'aggressively avoided' tax - and I think this can be taken to mean any artificial transfers of profit to low tax regimes in just the same way as potentially deemed employees artificially pretending to be companies.

Ditto any company or bank that ADVISES people on how to do this - surely they are not fit to do ANY government work either whilst teaching others how to avoid their fair share?

Im sure all the big UK companies will be 100% behind this fair and easy to follow principle.

And finally - surely no one can stand for parliament or the lords whilst also not paying their fair share?

Anyone found to be using tax law to aggressively avoid say, inheritance tax, by use of 'trusts' and other shells should immediately pay their full, fair and maximum share of inheritance tax right now or stand down?

No tax avoidance - or no public sector work.

Its a nice rule and will be so interesting if they actually apply fairly and across the board.

Hilda
          Sod whether it's morally correct or not, WGAS about that. If it's legal it's legal. If the Govn't want to make it illegal they will.

It's not MY responsibility to pay the maximum amount of tax I can.

Comment

Just make the UK a tax haven and then we wouldn't have to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              Sod whether it's morally correct or not, WGAS about that. If it's legal it's legal. If the Govn't want to make it illegal they will.

It's not MY responsibility to pay the maximum amount of tax I can.
              +1

Comment

And if its a freelancer who is offering best value it IS the public sectors job to enforce the tax position?

Why for one third party does value over avoidance yet for another it doesn't?

I do get your point about political power - the big boys have it and we dont.

But the public sector debate 'concerns' the principle that if the public sector is paying you, you should be paying the 'fair rate' of tax. That principle doesnt change with the size of your company.

Comment

And if its a freelancer who is offering best value it IS the public sectors job to enforce the tax position?

Why for one third party does value over avoidance yet for another it doesn't?

I do get your point about political power - the big boys have it and we dont.

But the public sector debate 'concerns' the principle that if the public sector is paying you, you should be paying the 'fair rate' of tax. That principle doesnt change with the size of your company.
                  What is this mythical "fair rate" of which you speak?

Comment

I think the government should spend a bit less.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X