• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Documents needed when applying for a mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documents needed when applying for a mortgage

Afternoon all.

I recently posted this in response to the Accord thread in the business section of the forum. However, I believe that it is worth posting again in this section as a go to check list for when applying for a mortgage. Banks are a lot more stringent today in their lending criteria and it is quite often a shock for a client who has not applied for a mortgage prior to 2008 in terms of the amount of documents required. Hopefully the list below will help and whilst it is not exhaustive, it should prevent too many nasty surprises along the way leading to unnecessary delays:

- Proof of ID
    - Proof of residense - ie a utility bill from the last 3 months (not a mobile phone bill)
    - Your latest 3 salary credited bank statements
    - If you own already - your latest mortgage statements for your residential and any buy to lets
    - Your last 3 years of accounts & SA302's
    - A copy of your current and previous contract
    - A copy of your CV to demonstrate cotracting experience
    - Proof of deposit - this is something lenders are becoming more and more keen on seeing as they get nervous when large sums of money are being moved around. Some banks dont just want to see the money in the bank, they are interested in how it was built up. We recently had a client who had to supply 6 years worth of bank statements to demonstrate how she had saved it.

Some of your list made me chuckle.

Utility bill? All online paperless, I can make the copies it prints off to say I live anywhere you like.

3 bank statements showing me moving money from my business account to my personal account, what does that prove?

6 Years of bank statements to prove to you where I got my money from? Who keeps those anyway, and most banks are moving to paperless as they think people dont need them.

Frankly id rather save up for another 2 years and pay cash. But thankfully my bank manager who manages both my business and personal accounts doesnt need all that bulltulip and offers a better deal than similar people to yourself when I looked into it.
    Last edited by escapeUK; 12 October 2012, 14:03.

Comment

+50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Some of your list made me chuckle.

Utility bill? All online paperless, I can make the copies it prints off to say I live anywhere you like.
        I love the way that when you open an account they want to see printed statements from your existing accounts, then the next thing they do is encourge you to "go paperless".
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          I love the way that when you open an account they want to see printed statements from your existing accounts, then the next thing they do is encourge you to "go paperless".
          I like that one. The last time someone asked for my bank statements what they got was a spreadsheet printout.

I could have done whatever I wanted there, but they took it as gospel.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            Not only that but most banks only keep 6 months online these days.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post

- Proof of ID
              - Proof of residense - ie a utility bill from the last 3 months (not a mobile phone bill)
              - Your latest 3 salary credited bank statements
              - If you own already - your latest mortgage statements for your residential and any buy to lets
              - Your last 3 years of accounts & SA302's
              - A copy of your current and previous contract
              - A copy of your CV to demonstrate cotracting experience- Proof of deposit - this is something lenders are becoming more and more keen on seeing as they get nervous when large sums of money are being moved around. Some banks dont just want to see the money in the bank, they are interested in how it was built up. We recently had a client who had to supply 6 years worth of bank statements to demonstrate how she had saved it.
              That's me stuffed then. Haven't racked any cots that I can think off.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X