• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gotta love Korean companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love Korean companies

The clientco group I'm contracting in has just been bought by a large Korean company (and I took half a day off on the last day at old clientco and the first at new cliento, with "no work available" prominently on each timesheet, to prove no mutuality of obligation!)

Anyway, the transfer of hardware and software for hundreds of people went fairly smoothly, largely due to the heroic efforts of one permie IS guy. He has been working like a one-armed paperhanger all the hours God sends, fielding requests from dozens of people, and staying late until past midnight, and apparently the other guys in his team are fairly useless.

Then yesterday, now things have settled down a bit, he took the liberty of arriving an hour late, at 9am instead of 8am I think, and within minutes a Korean HR manager phoned him and announced "You late today - We dock one hour's pay!".

To which he replied "You can dock one employee from your head count", and walked out. Who can blame him?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Sounds like he should become a contractor.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      The clientco group I'm contracting in has just been bought by a large Korean company (and I took half a day off on the last day at old clientco and the first at new cliento, with "no work available" prominently on each timesheet, to prove no mutuality of obligation!)

Anyway, the transfer of hardware and software for hundreds of people went fairly smoothly, largely due to the heroic efforts of one permie IS guy. He has been working like a one-armed paperhanger all the hours God sends, fielding requests from dozens of people, and staying late until past midnight, and apparently the other guys in his team are fairly useless.

Then yesterday, now things have settled down a bit, he took the liberty of arriving an hour late, at 9am instead of 8am I think, and within minutes a Korean HR manager phoned him and announced "You late today - We dock one hour's pay!".

To which he replied "You can dock one employee from your head count", and walked out. Who can blame him?
      I hope you have expressed your whole hearted welcome for your new masters and prepared a list of individuals whose loyalty is questionable.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Can you imagine what expertise Cambodian companies would have had if Pol Pot was still in charge? What? He know how to fix network? He too educated! Shoot now!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Can you imagine what expertise Cambodian companies would have had if Pol Pot was still in charge? What? He know how to fix network? He too educated! Shoot now!
          Maybe that's what the Iron Lady had a little soft spot for the Khmer Rouge.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            How else do managers become managers while people with real expertise stay as proles or go contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Sounds like he should become a contractor.
              It doesn't sound like he has the right worth ethic to be a contractor.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Ah, a Declaration of War.

Get the popcorn out.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It doesn't sound like he has the right worth ethic to be a contractor.

Most contractors think Ethics is a county somewhere to the south of Thutthex.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Most contractors think Ethics is a county somewhere to the south of Thutthex.
                    South of Thutthex? Really?

Comment

Working...
                    X