• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think this will help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think this will help?

A group calling for the provision of better education for black children is due to deliver a petition to 10 Downing Street.

The "Tell it like it is" campaign has devised a six-point charter to hand over to the government.

The charter calls for:

# needs-led funding for schools
    # an end to the "disproportionate" exclusion rate for black pupils
    # anti-racism training for current and prospective teachers and a strategy for increasing the number of teachers from minority groups
    # an enriching curriculum reflecting the backgrounds of all pupils
    # well-resourced comprehensive schools and colleges
    # full implementation of the recommendations of the Stephen Lawrence report.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I wonder if my experience is typical. I lived for 2.5 years in Brixton. Once I was the victim of an attempted mugging by a gang of youths (black). Some were barely in their teens. Once when I was in a phone box, a car pulled up, someone (black) got out, opened the door to the phone box and said "Get out, I need to make a phone call." I didn't. But I was probably stupid not to. Once while walking down the street someone (black) stepped ostentatiously in front of me, forcing me to walk round them. Once at the skating rink in Streatham a kid (black) cut across me, causing me to fall. While I was on the floor, he swore at me. He then followed me around and when I asked him what the problem was, he threw a punch at me, but fortunately the steward was nearby to pull him away.

There is racism, and most black people are honest and decent. But there is a very sizable minority of the young who are ill mannered thugs. They have a bad culture with peer pressure pushing them into bad behaviour and crime. Even the Nigerians I used to live with were sick of these ill mannered black kids. Tony Sewell (a well known commentator) is very critical of the black community for not recognising this. I think they would call him a racist were he not black himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      A group calling for the provision of better education for black children is due to deliver a petition to 10 Downing Street.
      The best education provision, for black children and white, would be a regular supply of birches to all schools, primary and up, and regular use of them.

OH in "knowledge that is not willingly sought must needs by the rod be taught" mode
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
        The best education provision, for black children and white, would be a regular supply of birches to all schools, primary and up, and regular use of them.

OH in "knowledge that is not willingly sought must needs by the rod be taught" mode
        A well known proverb:

"A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be"

Having lit the blue touch paper, I will now retire a safe distance.

Comment

They'd be better off presenting it to black parents.

Comment

Afraid there is something seriously wrong with aspects of black culture. The stats show that black kids do very well up to a certain age and then switch off. That ain't stupidity, it's peer pressure. Look at the lyrics of some of their music (if you can understand it). We are not allowed to criticise of course.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              The charter calls for:

# needs-led funding for schools
              # an end to the "disproportionate" exclusion rate for black pupils
              # anti-racism training for current and prospective teachers and a strategy for increasing the number of teachers from minority groups
              # an enriching curriculum reflecting the backgrounds of all pupils
              # well-resourced comprehensive schools and colleges
              # full implementation of the recommendations of the Stephen Lawrence report.

Strategies are great aren't they...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                Strategies are great aren't they...

Especially when they are realistic having been devised by people who are used to responsibility and have their feet firmly on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  They'd be better off presenting it to black parents.
                  And here is the problem...its the parents not the children that need to be targetted.

Although, I suspect this is something of a "which came first, chicken or egg" arguement because if you ignore the kids they are going to be tomorrows parents (probably in less than 10 years) and if they dont have the skills now they are just going to be as bad as todays parents.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Owlhoot
                    You are oh so right Owly. But society doesn't have the guts.

Evermore kids grow up nowadays with complete disrespect for authority and their elders. For the simple reason society is too afraid to teach them respect. It should be of no surprise why crime is getting worse with each new generation.

Disrespect, like respect, is earnt. And our society has certainly earnt the disrespect it gets from badly behaved kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X