• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Felix the nutter maths/geography question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felix the nutter maths/geography question

My understanding is that as the balloon was still subject to earths atmosphere and gravity as 'we' rotated with earth so did our man Felix.

Today's little brain teaser is, assuming he wasn't rotating with us but just went vertically up/down. Where would he have landed?

I don't know the answer as I haven't worked it out. Just bored really.

Easy enough to work out. Working on the earths circumference at the latitude he jumped out, if he took 10 minutes to descend it would be:

Circumference at lat
    --------------------
    24 * 6

west of where he started. Wouldn't it?

Comment

But he was ascending for 2hrs.

Comment

According to my calculations he should have landed here
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          But he was ascending for 2hrs.
          Ah, we're including that are we. Probably somewhere in the East Pacific then.

Comment

Maybe he would be in his own solar orbit.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

if he had gone straight up and lost all ties to the earth, he would have come down about 3,718,400 miles west of where he went up.

There are five speeds you have to consider
              rotation of the earth (as per zeity)
              wobble (negligable)
              speed of the planet around the sun (c 70k mph)
              speed of the solar system around the galaxy (c 450,000 mph)
              speed of the galaxy wrt universe core (c 1,339,200 mph)

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 15 October 2012, 10:25. Reason: in a spin
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                The earth would spin beneath him at 1674km/hr * cos ( 33.39 degrees ).

So after 2 hours he'd be 1404km*2 west of the launch site.

I think he'd get wet.
                Adding in additional factors like the jet stream, which runs at around 140mph

Comment

Directly above the center of the Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    My understanding is that as the balloon was still subject to earths atmosphere and gravity as 'we' rotated with earth so did our man Felix.

Today's little brain teaser is, assuming he wasn't rotating with us but just went vertically up/down. Where would he have landed?

I don't know the answer as I haven't worked it out. Just bored really.
                    If he went vertically up/down, he'd land in the same place on the earth. Because "vertically" means perpendicular to the earth's surface.

What you're asking is what if he wasn't spinning with the earth. But, how can that be? Because at the start he is spinning with the earth, he has rotational momentum. So to answer the question, you have to know how quickly he loses that rotational momentum, which means knowing what's slowing him down. Or perhaps what you're saying is what if he started with no rotational momentum, which would mean he'd have to be on a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation at exactly the right speed. But that would mean when he set off "vertically", he'd actually be travelling at an angle and it would take longer to reach the desired height.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X