• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots and the age of majority

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots and the age of majority

As 16 year olds are mooted to be allowed a vote in Scotland leaving the Union (please God make it happen) what constitutional mechanism is already (or will be) in place North of the Border to permit those who have not yet reached the age of majority to cast a vote?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

In Scots law you're considered an adult by the age of 16 i believe.

It ain't happening anyway.

Comment

As it is a referendum so I think you can just make it up as you go along.

The SNP were quite keen for this (they wanted every school kid to go to bannockburn and learn about the wars with the English) but it looks like they are 60% pro union.

Comment

I assume this is because the SNP believe more young people will vote yes than the older generation?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Patriotism versus pessimism?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I assume this is because the SNP believe more young people will vote yes than the older generation?
            I thought it was because being Scotland, everyone over the age of 18 will be drunk on polling day.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I am more concerned about non UK citizens getting a vote, I mean WTF is that about? Romanian beggars getting asked to vote on Scottish independence.

Whole thing is a joke anyway, it ain't going to happen and the debate should now be about how long we can go on for before we have to go through this again. Salmond will want these things as regular as elections and he should be told right now this is the last one for at least 25 years.

Comment

I'm not so sure the Scots will vote No - well as it stands they probably will, but it would only take a few weeks of English heckling in the press ("we subsidize you") and it may shift folks' opinions..
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I'll join the tide of people saying that it will never happen.

It's perhaps worth the cost and bluster to at least give the impression of a choice though, when really there isn't one; for either of us.

Comment

I should be willing it to happen, there will be new IT projects kicking off everywhere...

"My client ( who has no idea how to run projects of this size ) is implementing a greenfield national taxation and treasury system and requires loads of overpaid staff to work on a project that will run for 15 years with no expectation of release"

Comment

Working...
                    X