• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nobel peace prize to Maggie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobel peace prize to Maggie

Thank you Boris.

Don’t honour a Brussels office block – give the Nobel to Maggie - Telegraph

The last time I looked, there were about seven billion people on this planet. There are all sorts of candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize. Across the developing world, you will find gaunt and patient aid workers who have consecrated their lives to ending tribal conflicts. There are bone-nosed eco-warriors who are fighting to save the peoples of the rainforest from destruction. There are women who are struggling for female emancipation in Saudi Arabia. In tyrannies from Uzbekistan to North Korea, there are journalists risking their lives so the truth can be heard. There are good people battling every scourge, from famine to gun-running to piracy to human trafficking.
    So we can only wonder what madness took hold at the judging lunch the other day, when that committee of Norwegian worthies was asked to appoint this year’s winner of the prize.
    Perhaps they were drunk; perhaps it was one of those morose Scandinavian afternoons when the sun has sunk and there is no alternative but to hit the aquavit. Whatever it was, they must have been out of their minds to ignore all human candidates and award the prize to the European Union. And for bringing peace to Europe! You might as well offer recognition to Lance Armstrong for his role in promoting good sportsmanship. You might as well suggest that Sir Jimmy Savile deserves some other posthumous gong for his egregious “charity” work.
    The EU’s part in creating peace in Europe has long been exaggerated, and I am afraid its signature policy is now in danger of producing the exact opposite.
    There is, on the other hand, one living human being who would have perfectly fitted the bill. She has done more than just about anyone to preserve peace and democracy in Europe. It was her 87th birthday on Saturday and it would have been a nice thing if the Nobel committee had recognised her at last. It might have made up for the shameful decision by her university to refuse her an honorary doctorate – and we forget now that those ungracious Oxford dons were protesting about her decision to charge foreign students for university, when those very fees are now essential to higher education and keep the dons in sherry.

Yes, instead of giving the prize to a clutch of ugly plate-glass office blocks in Brussels, the Nobel committee should have awarded it to Margaret Hilda Thatcher.
    To understand why Baroness Thatcher deserves the Nobel prize for peace in Europe, you only have to think about the absurdity of giving the gong to the EU. It wasn’t the Common Market that brought peace to Europe in 1945. I am afraid it was a series of other institutions: the Red Army, the US Marines, the Royal Air Force Bomber Command. They genuinely helped to pacify the continent, though you wouldn’t think of nominating them for a peace prize.
    It wasn’t as if the EU was the body that helped to keep the peace during the Cold War. Most people would agree that was the work of Nato, and the threat of retaliation against Soviet aggression.
    It wasn’t the EU that went toe to toe with Russia over the stationing of Soviet missiles in Europe. It was Reagan and Thatcher. It was her ideas of free market democracy that inspired the peoples and politicians of Eastern Europe – and in some cases still do. Why not honour her, rather than a bureaucracy?
    And look at where that EU machine is taking us now. The catastrophic programme for monetary union is continuing to impoverish the people of Greece and much of southern Europe. When the German chancellor paid a visit last week, to inspect the effects of the EU-imposed austerity measures, they had to protect Angela Merkel with 7,000 police – the largest such operation in history, and still there were protesters dressing up as Nazis.
    In Spain, there are now thousands of young people fleeing for a better life in Latin America. The whole European economy is being held back by the fear that the euro will break up, when the ghastly truth is that a break-up is probably the best hope of salvation.
    The solution on offer is more economic integration – a solution that is apparently supported by the British government – when that process of fiscal union will mean a hollowing out of democracy.
    The reason the Greeks are turning out dressed as Nazis is that they feel as trampled on and as humiliated as they did when the swastika flew over the Parthenon. We are now proposing to give formal control of eurozone tax and spending policies to the EU institutions – a shorthand for German control. Far from ending tensions between EU countries, the euro project is now massively increasing them.
    It is often said that two democracies have never been to war with one another. But when you make a mockery of democracy, and effectively hand tax and spending decisions to a foreign power, then you are creating the conditions for serious mischief. Vince Cable yesterday warned of “absolutely incalculable” consequences if the eurozone should rupture – but what does he think is happening now? We are already seeing neo-fascist parties in Athens and the agony of Greece is unabated.
    All this Baroness Thatcher foresaw. She warned in her 1988 Bruges speech of the dangers of trying to create Identikit Europeans, when the peoples of EU nations were so different in their habits and productivity. She warned of a one-size-fits-all monetary policy and she spoke out strongly against the lack of democracy in the project. She has been completely vindicated.
    According to José Manuel Barroso, president of the European Commission, the Nobel prize is for all of us, in the sense that it is directed at all 500 million European citizens. Well, on behalf of millions of us, I suggest we turn down this meaningless award for an institution that has got things so badly wrong, and insist that it be handed instead to a woman who got it overwhelmingly right. Thatcher, not the EU, understood the route to peace in Europe.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 15 October 2012, 12:53.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

I've read some old bollocks in my time but that tosh is pretty close to being the biggest peice of bollocks I have ever read. I'll see if I can get around to critiquing it...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Boris makes a good case for not awarding it to the EU.

Comment

To say the EU was responsible for peace in Europe was pretty absurd. It did not even start until 12 years after WW2 and there was no evidence of new tensions at the time. US loans and not repeating the onerous impositions on Germany after WW1 were the major factors.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          To say the EU was responsible for peace in Europe was pretty absurd.
          Especially when they are responsible for the coming civil wars throughout Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            To say the EU was responsible for peace in Europe was pretty absurd. It did not even start until 12 years after WW2 and there was no evidence of new tensions at the time. US loans and not repeating the onerous impositions on Germany after WW1 were the major factors.
            It is, which is why it wasn't:

The Nobel Peace Prize 2012 was awarded to European Union (EU) "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe".
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Thank you Boris.

Don’t honour a Brussels office block – give the Nobel to Maggie - Telegraph

...blah blah blah, loads or right wing sanctimonious crap
              Margaret Thatcher, friend of dictators, lover of mad American who speaks to monkeys

Comment

The EU is essentially a toned down version of the USSR and an appalling choice for the nobel prize.

Comment

If her funeral is local and part of it is made public i may actually attend and this is coming from someone who couldn't bother stepping out of their front door if he knew that the queen was passing by.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Margaret Thatcher, friend of dictators, lover of mad American who speaks to monkeys
                    Is that really the best you can do?

Comment

Working...
                    X