• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deadly IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadly IT

If you work in IT you are probably chained to a desk most of the day? Sitting down all day is bad for you even if you go to the Gym at in the evening. BBC News - Sitting for long periods 'is bad for your health'

Anyone thought of changing careers? Something where you are on your feet more and moving around? Less money is OK.

Originally posted by louie View Post
    If you work in IT you are probably chained to a desk most of the day? Sitting down all day is bad for you even if you go to the Gym at in the evening. BBC News - Sitting for long periods 'is bad for your health'

Anyone thought of changing careers? Something where you are on your feet more and moving around? Less money is OK.
    Several folks at my previous client had bought stand-up workstations for this reason. They looked a bit silly, but the staff using them swore by them.
    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/he...ness.html?_r=0

Every office should have some of these where you can hot desk onto for an hour or 2 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
        Several folks at my previous client had bought stand-up workstations for this reason. They looked a bit silly, but the staff using them swore by them.
        I think the folks using the standing workstations are a bit delusional, standing in once place isn't much better than sitting, I think being able to move around, walking running, lifting things, is going to make a difference.

Plus as a contractor you are changing environments a lot, are you going to drag around one of these or a treadmill, if they will even allow them?

Comment

They should make network cards pedal powered. No pedalling, no internet.
          Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
            They should make network cards pedal powered. No pedalling, no internet.
            You'll still be sitting down.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
              I think the folks using the standing workstations are a bit delusional, standing in once place isn't much better than sitting, I think being able to move around, walking running, lifting things, is going to make a difference.

Plus as a contractor you are changing environments a lot, are you going to drag around one of these or a treadmill, if they will even allow them?
              Better suited to those contractors working from home, I'd suggest. The treadmill thing seems a bit much, IMO.
              You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
                Better suited to those contractors working from home, I'd suggest. The treadmill thing seems a bit much, IMO.
                I'm a leg bouncer, wonder if that does any good.

Comment

We're all going to

DIE
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    We're all going to

DIE
                    wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X