• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removal of interior door - with self-closer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of interior door - with self-closer

Anyone ever done this?

Got a chain on the middle hinge which is a sort of tensioner. Perkomatic I think its called.

Easy to remove or special tool needed?

78 yr old father was having carpet fitted today and fitters refused because they said they couldnt do it. Looks like I'll be driving 30 miles over there later to sort out. :-(
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Anyone ever done this?

Got a chain on the middle hinge which is a sort of tensioner. Perkomatic I think its called.

Easy to remove or special tool needed?

78 yr old father was having carpet fitted today and fitters refused because they said they couldnt do it. Looks like I'll be driving 30 miles over there later to sort out. :-(

not a bad description of how to bodge it :

Open the door as much as possible so the spring is at full extension & slip
    a nail or similar through the links of the chain where it enters the door.
    Close the door slightly & the tension should be gone.

Don't be tempted to remove it or leave it unconnected - they are there for
    fire safety reasons.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      not a bad description of how to bodge it :

Open the door as much as possible so the spring is at full extension & slip
      a nail or similar through the links of the chain where it enters the door.
      Close the door slightly & the tension should be gone.

Don't be tempted to remove it or leave it unconnected - they are there for
      fire safety reasons.
      If you twist the chain anti-clockwise it will reduce tension and eventually come undone. It can then be reinserted and twisted clockwise to increase tension. Using a mole-grip helps.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Have since spoken to Housing Association. Apparently, its just a normal door with a self-closer on it.

To be honest, the old man never closes the door anyway since hes lived there. The carpet is too thick for the door to close.

CarpetRight, however, are complete TWATS. Thought it'd all been sorted out with them. They promised me they'd go the extra mile to help out to get it done but in reality they didnt.

Comment

CarpetRight, however, are complete TWATS. Thought it'd all been sorted out with them. They promised me they'd go the extra mile to help out to get it done but in reality they didnt.
          Carpet fitters for most large shops and chains are normally independant tradesmen who are contracted by the shop to fit carpets for their customers.

If the cut they are getting isn't big enough or they know they will get work regardless of complaints then they don't care.

Hence small shops where the carpet fitters are staff are the way to go.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tell me about it.

Fella who turned up couldnt give a toss. In the end, Mrs went around and took the door off in 5 minutes. Spring bit wasnt even attached.

Fitters excuse - Im not a carpenter I didnt know it was that easy!

Comment

Well we know who does the DIY in his household.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Fitters excuse - Im not a carpenter I couldn't be bothered!
                FTFH
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tell me about it.

Fella who turned up couldnt give a toss. In the end, Mrs went around and took the door off in 5 minutes. Spring bit wasnt even attached.

Unbelievable. If I've understood you correctly, I'm surprised they even had to take it off. Even if they were carpeting through the doorway itself, surely it'd have been better to gauge fit if they'd left the door hung? And if you just mean taking the spring out, it shouldn't have been beyond them to use a door stop to hold it open for that part of the proceedings.

I'm glad your Mrs was around to sort it out. Some tradesmen are such jobsworths.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    FTFH
                    Yep. Spot on.

What annoys me most is the store knew the situation. I overegged it that the old man couldnt do a thing and they assured me it would be sorted.

Then fitter turns up and cant be arsed.

Comment

Working...
                    X