• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home insurance renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home insurance renewal

Got a quote from Churchill - for £371. I then go to money supermarket - cheapest quote is £203 for same cover with Churchill. So I call them up. It seems no-one renews anymore. All the cheapest quotes are for new customers online. So I ask if he can cancel old policy and get new policy - no problem.

It feels very wrong to me to have to do this - I suppose its the way of the world these days and I ought to get used to it.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Got a quote from Churchill - for £371. I then go to money supermarket - cheapest quote is £203 for same cover with Churchill. So I call them up. It seems no-one renews anymore. All the cheapest quotes are for new customers online. So I ask if he can cancel old policy and get new policy - no problem.

It feels very wrong to me to have to do this - I suppose its the way of the world these days and I ought to get used to it.
    Similar for us - went through Quidco & got £80 cashback for my effort though.... so worth the hassle.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Similar for us - went through Quidco & got £80 cashback for my effort though.... so worth the hassle.
      I love Quidco in the past 3-4 years I've earned 1100 GBP cashback

BP it is wrong as unlike you some people don't even bother to change their home insurance and are being screwed royally
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

The insurance companies pray on people not checking renewal prices, I did this recently with my AA breakdown cover, £120 to renew, or £70 as a new customer with another £21 cash back through Quidco
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Did the same thing a few months ago, like you I almost halved the cost.

A lot of business is like this now, they rely on lazy people (like I used to be) who cant be bothered, dont read letters etc.

A few years ago I had the attitude that its hastle, I cant be bothered, I can afford it etc.

Recently ive changed and saved per year:

Gas & Lecky, saving about £250
          House Insurance, saving about £175
          Mobile contract, saving about £300 (ive upped the base contract as was always going over it)
          Im about to pay off my 0% purchases credit card and get another (saves on 2/3% transfer fee)
          New mortgage rate saving about £600

Just had a letter from they AA saying theyre upgraded me to Silver membership for breakdown as been with them 3 years. Renewal is £121, im thinking they can swivel, I must be able to get it less than that?

Well over £1000 saved for about an hour on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            The insurance companies pray on people not checking renewal prices, I did this recently with my AA breakdown cover, £120 to renew, or £70 as a new customer with another £21 cash back through Quidco
            Originally posted by Barley View Post
            Did the same thing a few months ago, like you I almost halved the cost.

A lot of business is like this now, they rely on lazy people (like I used to be) who cant be bothered, dont read letters etc.

A few years ago I had the attitude that its hastle, I cant be bothered, I can afford it etc.

Recently ive changed and saved per year:

Gas & Lecky, saving about £250
            House Insurance, saving about £175
            Mobile contract, saving about £300 (ive upped the base contract as was always going over it)
            Im about to pay off my 0% purchases credit card and get another (saves on 2/3% transfer fee)
            New mortgage rate saving about £600

Just had a letter from they AA saying theyre upgraded me to Silver membership for breakdown as been with them 3 years. Renewal is £121, im thinking they can swivel, I must be able to get it less than that?

Well over £1000 saved for about an hour on the phone.
            See above
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Loving your work people
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Doesn't always work.

I have found that the cheapest is the renewal price with car insurance.

Also check the small print of anything you want to take out on the comparison sites as sometimes they remove a few things or up the excess.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I didn't think you could just leave the AA and then start a new policy. Is there not a time period ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    I didn't think you could just leave the AA and then start a new policy. Is there not a time period ?
                    offer to go to the RAC or Green Flag.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X