• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeez - this is scarey. employment situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeez - this is scarey. employment situation

wow. I think I may have gotten complacement. wrapped up in a high skill IT cocoon or something.

This really worried me tonight.

The missus works for a Manchester based care company.

they recently got a few new clients in Liverpool, with severe medical needs. The missus has been tasked with hiring a dozen carers, at £7.40 an hour to work shifts to provide basic care

she came home with a suitcase full of application forms, and 80% of them have degrees

come out of uni, 7k debt and have to fight like a wolf to get a 7.40 and hour shift based job ????

holy fckng hell

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

They have a degree in what exactly?

Let's have a guess ......

12% Media & Television

8% Forensic science (that CSI has a lot to answer for there)

20% Art History

The remaining 60% .... some other pointless cack that no-one wants but the University failed to mention this whilst cashing the tuition cheque.

Call me a cynic if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      wow. I think I may have gotten complacement. wrapped up in a high skill IT cocoon or something.

This really worried me tonight.

The missus works for a Manchester based care company.

they recently got a few new clients in Liverpool, with severe medical needs. The missus has been tasked with hiring a dozen carers, at £7.40 an hour to work shifts to provide basic care

she came home with a suitcase full of application forms, and 80% of them have degrees

come out of uni, 7k debt and have to fight like a wolf to get a 7.40 and hour shift based job ????

holy fckng hell

7K debt? What planet's that on? Fees now around 8K a year on average, plus 'maintenance loan' of around 3K. Chuck in another 5K per year for accommodation, and it's easily 50K for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

Let's have a guess ......

12% Media & Television

8% Forensic science (that CSI has a lot to answer for there)

20% Art History

The remaining 60% .... some other pointless cack that no-one wants but the University failed to mention this whilst cashing the tuition cheque.

Call me a cynic if you will.
        only 8% forensic science. The last time I looked (earlier this year) we had more graduates yearly than are employed nationwide.

And one of my second cousins is doing that degree. She's the first from that side of the family to go to Uni and once she graduates probably the last.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          7K debt? What planet's that on? Fees now around 8K a year on average, plus 'maintenance loan' of around 3K. Chuck in another 5K per year for accommodation, and it's easily 50K for 3 years.
          Those paying that amount won't have graduated yet, that price has only just started.

Comment

They probably shouldn't have gone to uni then.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

20% Art History
              In defence of Art History

On my last module with the OU. Have been surprised how much it has taught me - not just about art history as such, but analysing sources, presenting arguments, evaluating evidence etc.

Never kidded myself that it would be any use, but actually has been a hell of a lot more use and more academically rigourous than I could have imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                They probably shouldn't have gone to uni then.
                They wouldn't have done prior to Labour deciding that 50% going to university was a great way of delaying the youth unemployment issue.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I read a piece about Guy Martin, the bike racer. He reckons the government is unhealthily obsessed with sending kids to university. I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    They wouldn't have done prior to Labour deciding that 50% going to university was a great way of delaying the youth unemployment issue.
                    The youth unemployment issue they created with the minimum wage.

Labour: fighting short term populist decisions with short term populist decisions.

Comment

Working...
                    X