• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder if we can all stop paying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if we can all stop paying?

Local authorities expect half of poor residents to refuse to pay council tax | Money | The Guardian

Now I'm not poor so to speak, but it does make me wonder if the costs of recovery are more than what they're going to recover in council tax should I really bother paying for it?
    In Scooter we trust

yes i also wonder if we can all stop paying ?

BBC News - Starbucks 'paid just £8.6m UK tax in 14 years'

Starbucks 'paid just £8.6m UK tax in 14 years'
    Starbucks has been doing nothing illegal but their practice has been described as "disgraceful"

Comment

We covered that one

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...starbucks.html
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

There are lots of interesting articles out there about people making themselves known as Free men, absolving them of certain requirements as per Council Tax, etc. It's actually interesting reading on some of their forums, if you avoid the tin foil wearers.

I actually think it's going to get a lot worse as people get harder up.

Comment

Sorry, I have been away

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            There are lots of interesting articles out there about people making themselves known as Free men, absolving them of certain requirements as per Council Tax, etc. It's actually interesting reading on some of their forums, if you avoid the tin foil wearers.

I actually think it's going to get a lot worse as people get harder up.
            Sounds good I might check it out, I'm not sure if they have a council tax here in Switzerland but what I do know is in relation to the disposal of rubbish they have these white disposal bags (in Zurich called Zuri-sac) they cost 2chf each and unless the rubbish is in them it doesn't get picked up.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Sounds good I might check it out, I'm not sure if they have a council tax here in Switzerland but what I do know is in relation to the disposal of rubbish they have these white disposal bags (in Zurich called Zuri-sac) they cost 2chf each and unless the rubbish is in them it doesn't get picked up.
              Chapter 7 (I think), is also a good thing to read about, about the right to live where you have land, and bypass planning. Lots of it around here, where people buy land, then build benders on it, and refuse to get planning quoting this Chapter 7.

It's interesting as a way to circumvent planning rules here. Lots if info about how you can buy cheap land, not zoned, and turn it into small holdings, workshops, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Chapter 7 (I think), is also a good thing to read about, about the right to live where you have land, and bypass planning. Lots of it around here, where people buy land, then build benders on it, and refuse to get planning quoting this Chapter 7.

It's interesting as a way to circumvent planning rules here. Lots if info about how you can buy cheap land, not zoned, and turn it into small holdings, workshops, etc, etc.
                What these muppets may not know is that the Crown/Parliament or Federal Government etc has the ancient right to seize private land, at any time and without justification or even compensation.

Of course in recent times and in democracies the sovereign/state doesn't exercise these rights on a whim; but planning enquiries and compulsory purchase are only conventional niceties, to avoid unpopularity and dissent.

So there's no such thing as allodial freehold in the UK or US, or anywhere where (formerly) Norman land laws apply, and that's presumably what these "Freemen" claim to own.

Same goes for res nullius ("property of no one") which they may have argued their land was before they staked a claim on it. In Norman law this doesn't exist.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  About 20% of the tax the Swiss pays goes to federal government, 40% to canton, and 40% to the local community.

They'll go through unauthorised rubbish bags and attempt to identify the owner to slap them with a large fine.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    They'll go through unauthorised rubbish bags and attempt to identify the owner to slap them with a large fine.
                    I don't mind paying for the authorised rubbish bags. That they cost does encourage you to recycle stuff.

My experience in the UK was that some weeks they didn't bother emptying my bin / never put the bin lid back on again / left rubbish strewn up the garden path. I have none of those problems here.

And the UK buggers wanted cash for their "Christmas Box".
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X