• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I love My SSD,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love My SSD,

just put windows 7 & SSD on my lappy, its incredible. Even IE seems fast.

worth the £30!!!!

so if you are doubting the benefits , just do it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I am in total agreement. New machine for work with nice shiny SSD boots in a handful of seconds. Is that good news though?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      just put windows 7 & SSD on my lappy, its incredible. Even IE seems fast.

worth the £30!!!!

so if you are doubting the benefits , just do it.
      £30 ? What did you buy ?

Comment

ebuyer had a £30 deal for a Kingston v+200 60GB, just enough for a decent boot drive. Not the best but good enough I bought two now wish I had brought more.

Desktop is next.

That will have raid data drives and SSD boot with online backup.

Comment

Tempted but unsure how much hassle it would be on an existing PC with an existing disk.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            ebuyer had a £30 deal for a Kingston v+200 60GB, just enough for a decent boot drive. Not the best but good enough I bought two now wish I had brought more.
            I saw that. Couldn't believe it was that cheap, when I paid £110 for 128GB only 4 or 5 months ago.

But I suspect your benefit is 50% new OS install, 25% Windows 7, 25% SSD. I bought a W7 Dell laptop and then upgraded to an SSD, but to be honest the SSD didn't make all that much of a difference. It was a pretty fast machine with a pretty fast hard disk already.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I read about an SSD drive you use as a cache to your existing drive. It's small, 20Gb or so, and from my understanding it wouldn't show up as a new drive at all, you install some special software and it automagically puts frequently read files on the SSD.

I think that's the deal anyway. Anyone?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Wait a couple of weeks and you'll still think its too slow.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I read about an SSD drive you use as a cache to your existing drive. It's small, 20Gb or so, and from my understanding it wouldn't show up as a new drive at all, you install some special software and it automagically puts frequently read files on the SSD.

I think that's the deal anyway. Anyone?
                  There's a load of those around, but it's now looking somewhat pointless given how cheap SSDs have become. If you have a 20GB cache, then that's a lot of data, more than you're likely to load on a frequent basis to make the system work. Unless you really care about Windows boot times (which I never understand myself), then I can't believe it'd do a lot of good. You'd be much better off spending the money on extra RAM (which is also used as a cache).

For us code monkeys, having your build on an SSD probably makes a lot of difference, as that's reading and writing a lot of small files. I suspect most users don't see much benefit. Although I do like the fact my laptop is completely silent (until the processor fan cuts in), and vibration free.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Wait a couple of weeks and you'll still think its too slow.
                    nope I have a work laptop, next to that Global warming is slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X