• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily 'no, seriously dude, wtf'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily 'no, seriously dude, wtf'?

The tech lead on "the other project" took my to lunch today to ask me some questions. Being wary I went to lunch and listened. The best question was "Can we take ClientCo's systems offline for over a week while we load the data into our system?"

Somewhat gobsmacked, I suggested this was unlikely to go down well, and went on to suggest he look at lowering the amount of time it took to load data into their system.

Historically it's taken over 3 weeks to go from standing up the environment, to loading the data in.

And if anything goes wrong it's start over time.

He seemed to accept the fact that data load just took as long as it took. I nipped off for a fag after lunch, and a couple of their techies were outside too. So I asked them, "Why the **** does it take so long to load data into your system?"

Usual response, it's a big ERP system, meta data, validation, transactions, yada yada yada.

Ok I says, put another way, how many records can you load into your system in say, 1 minute?

Then the other techy pipes up, that is quite slow actually, on my last gig we were able to load over 1000 a minute.

So why the difference?

Oh that's easy other techy said. There's only one CPU.

I spoke with the programme manager politely pointing out the problem (if I spoke to anyone I usually speak to, including the tech lead they would have taken all the credit).

As we speak the VM is being reconfigured to use more than one core.

So there we are folks, if you run an enterprise strength ERP system on half a cheap laptop, it takes a donkeys age to load data in.

#justsayinlike
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Why are you not running systems in parallel?

MF in 'Director' Mode.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      The tech lead on "the other project" took my to lunch today to ask me some questions. Being wary I went to lunch and listened. The best question was "Can we take ClientCo's systems offline for over a week while we load the data into our system?"

Somewhat gobsmacked, I suggested this was unlikely to go down well, and went on to suggest he look at lowering the amount of time it took to load data into their system.

Historically it's taken over 3 weeks to go from standing up the environment, to loading the data in.

And if anything goes wrong it's start over time.

He seemed to accept the fact that data load just took as long as it took. I nipped off for a fag after lunch, and a couple of their techies were outside too. So I asked them, "Why the **** does it take so long to load data into your system?"

Usual response, it's a big ERP system, meta data, validation, transactions, yada yada yada.

Ok I says, put another way, how many records can you load into your system in say, 1 minute?

Then the other techy pipes up, that is quite slow actually, on my last gig we were able to load over 1000 a minute.

So why the difference?

Oh that's easy other techy said. There's only one CPU.

I spoke with the programme manager politely pointing out the problem (if I spoke to anyone I usually speak to, including the tech lead they would have taken all the credit).

As we speak the VM is being reconfigured to use more than one core.

So there we are folks, if you run an enterprise strength ERP system on half a cheap laptop, it takes a donkeys age to load data in.

#justsayinlike
      1000 a minute? What are you running? A ZX Spectrum?

Tell them to buy a nice big mainframe. It's what they're built for.

Comment

You really took control of that situation and used your experience and knowledge to resolve the issue.

Comment

hey ho .
          i am the lead dev on something similar.

to be brutally honest, its almost impossible to get someone to take responsibility and make a decision.

i built two parallel transports

BOTH fully functional, because I didnt know which way the twats would jump

we are using one now, and there is one chance in a million that the powers that be know what I have done, or why

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The system isnt Epicor's Vantage, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              The system isnt just a badly designed heap of tulip, by any chance?
              FTFY
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                The system is a badly designed heap of tulip.
                Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                FTFY
                FTFY (again) because if we're honest, do any of us really have any element of doubt here?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  FTFY
                  If you had any experience of Epicor, you'd know thats what I already said.

Comment

Is it VMware on a glorified PC?

Comment

Working...
                    X