• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No contract but......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No contract but......

....I am expected to start tomorrow. Would you? Does starting imply that you accept the terms and conditions of an unseen contract?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Not legally (if nothing is signed you cannot be bound by it). However you might not get paid (for the same reason).
    Personally I wouldn't, unless I knew the agency very well and had at least an email stating that I would get paid, and confirming the rate.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      ....I am expected to start tomorrow. Would you? Does starting imply that you accept the terms and conditions of an unseen contract?
      It may imply that, but there is nothing legally binding you to that contract until you sign it. So if it turns up and there is something contractually you disagree with then you can dispute it. I've been contracting for almost 8 years and frequently sign contracts after I have started.

Comment

I have started gigs without the paperwork (which has always come through eventually), and have had no problems, but others on here in the same situation have had issues.

hth (but it probably doesn't)
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Do remember that your insurances are probably not valid in such a circumstance. i.e. driving to and from the client, work you do at the client and working at the client.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
            I've been contracting for almost 8 years and frequently sign contracts after I have started.
            As have I, but I would at the very least want to see an electronic copy. Mainly for IR35 checking reasons, but also to confirm basic things like the rate and which expenses are covered and which aren't etc.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I have done in the past Tony, but in your circumstances, I would use it as a delaying tactic until you know one way or the other about London (assuming that London is still live and likely).

I don't know whether or not you trust this agent, but it sounds like they are deliberately delaying the contract until after you have started because they have no intention of changing it, and they judge that you'll accept it in order to get paid for work already done.

You could always say that your accountant won't let you start!

Comment

London died this morning for me. Client withdrew the role.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

They are supposed to be sending me an electronic copy this afternoon. Won't be able to get it vetted before tomorrow though.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

They are supposed to be sending me an electronic copy this afternoon. Won't be able to get it vetted before tomorrow though.
                    You can try emailing it to Bauer & Cottrell, when I used them recently they were very quick (and thorough). They also spoke to the agency and by the end of the day I had a new pdf contract via email, and a paper one in the post. You need to pay by credit/debit card for this though.

Comment

Working...
                    X