• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

skys wireless box crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skys wireless box crap

Bought one. Limited manual to say the least.

Plug in and it works it says. No it doesn't for me. Hmmm.

Spent 20 mins reseting it etc but then couldn't be arsed.

Had a surreal conversation with Sky support (off shored!) person. He told me that it wouldnt work because I had an SSID type of wireless router. Wish I'd never mentioned the word to be honest. Had to spent 10 mins telling him that SSID was the 'wireless network name'. In the end he said he understood and sent me a link telling me how to get wireless working on a sky broadband router (I'm with O2 for broadband).

Completely pointless and 20 mins of my life I'll never get back.

I think I'll go back to homeplugs rather than rely on Skys inability to get anything techincal working.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Hang on so this is basically just a wireless access point? For a tenner that's not a bad price, I assume it works with any ethernet connection, not just to a Sky+ box?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Useless Tosser.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Hang on so this is basically just a wireless access point? For a tenner that's not a bad price, I assume it works with any ethernet connection, not just to a Sky+ box?
        It connects Sky+ box via hardwired lan cable so I guess it is.

They used to be £60 so ok for tenner (if it ever works!).

It just winds me up. I dont want to be there for hours speaking to donkeys at sky to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          It connects Sky+ box via hardwired lan cable so I guess it is.

They used to be £60 so ok for tenner (if it ever works!).

It just winds me up. I dont want to be there for hours speaking to donkeys at sky to get it working.
          Ive got my sky+ connect via homeplugs but it keeps dropping ip address.

I assume you have gone via the sky options menu, network, manual configuration and assigned a fixed ip address.
          Has the reset config option done anything ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            Ive got my sky+ connect via homeplugs but it keeps dropping ip address.

I assume you have gone via the sky options menu, network, manual configuration and assigned a fixed ip address.
            Has the reset config option done anything ?
            If you can, go into your wireless router and set it with a static ip address there. You should be able to find it via it's mac address.

Comment

Used to use homeplugs and it worked a treat but my homeplug packed up.

£10 for sky wireless box easy peasy I though. Thing is I dont want to spend ages fannying around with skys crap.

But thanks for help. I will try this.

Comment

I have Sky here (used to be Premiere) but Telekom also offer all this new fangled digital stuff and as everything else I have is tthrough Telekom I thought maybe I would take them up on their offer. First off I asked if it was wireless and was told that 'yes, of course.' When it arrived it wasn't so got on the phone with them and told the bod at the other end that it wasn't wireless. The answer back was that they had some problems with the wireless aspect so it wasn't yet released but this box does exactly the same. Not it doesn't I replied, my router is elsewhere in the house and if you think I'm going to run an ethernet cable bloody metres then you've got another thought coming. They continue to ring me still trying to get me to accept and I've had some fun conversations with them about wireless and running cables and I think it is now obvious to them why they seem to be lagging behind in this area as they still don't have a wireless enabled one.

Another thing that gets me is that all these companies try to lease these boxes to you which seems pointless as in the end it costs you a fortune.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I had a similar surreal conversation with a Sky techie.

They insist my Sky box needs a special router to access the Internet, and I couldn't persuade the chump (or vice versa) that it should be possible to plug it into the normal broadband router which I already use.

Does anyone else know anything about this? Is it possible that a Sky box does indeed need direct access to an ADSL phone line? Or is it a ploy by Sky to try and persuade people into switching phone/ISP suppliers to Sky?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I had a similar surreal conversation with a Sky techie.

They insist my Sky box needs a special router to access the Internet, and I couldn't persuade the chump (or vice versa) that it should be possible to plug it into the normal broadband router which I already use.

Does anyone else know anything about this? Is it possible that a Sky box does indeed need direct access to an ADSL phone line? Or is it a ploy by Sky to try and persuade people into switching phone/ISP suppliers to Sky?
                    I had issues with my router netgear dgn1000 and it needed a f/w upgrade for it all to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X