• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's bad enough they are already selling XMas stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's bad enough they are already selling XMas stuff

Greggs had people out in the street dressed in baker's white outfits today offering free samples. They were made up as ghouls and so on. I assume something to do with Halloween but that's 2 weeks away. Get a grip, Halloween isn't something you build up to for 2 weeks.

Also... I did not find being offered a taste of a meat pie by a zombie particularly enticing.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

As a religious person, are you very anti-Halloween?

Was surprised to find how strongly one of the religious mums at school felt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      As a religious person, are you very anti-Halloween?

Was surprised to find how strongly one of the religious mums at school felt about it.
      We go to church every week and participate in Halloween. I don't see it as any wose that Father Christmas - which is quasi-religious anyway.

Comment

It's All Hallows Eve - All Saints Day being the day after (and a day off school) so nowt satanic about it.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          We go to church every week and participate in Halloween. I don't see it as any wose that Father Christmas - which is quasi-religious anyway.
          Yeah, seems harmless. The lady I was talking to considered it 'dabbling with the occult'

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Yeah, seems harmless. The lady I was talking to considered it 'dabbling with the occult'
            I thought it was originally pagan. Which to some people seems to mean occult.

Comment

These days it's all just a mish-mash of hedonism and consumerism, where the roots are from I don't know but it's specifically the celebration of the occult which would be the issue - pretending to cast spells and all that guff.

I don't personally mind it and I don't see it as a major issue even to pretty hardline Christians in 90% of cases but my wife has a bee in her bonnet about it. Mucking about and make-believe are grey areas really... lots of "fundamentalist" Christians love Harry Potter but disapprove of Halloween, in my church I'd say on balance most disapprove but by no means all.
              The drinking and wearing nearly nothing might be a bigger issue!

I don't know why but bizarrely Halloween and Catholicism seem to go very closely together.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The drinking and wearing nearly nothing might be a bigger issue!
                It must be Halloween every day in hyperD Towers...
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  It must be Halloween every day in hyperD Towers...
                  Nothing wrong with getting pissed in your dressing gown as long as you close it when the takeaway delivery comes
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Greggs had people out in the street dressed in baker's white outfits today offering free samples. They were made up as ghouls and so on. I assume something to do with Halloween but that's 2 weeks away. Get a grip, Halloween isn't something you build up to for 2 weeks.

Also... I did not find being offered a taste of a meat pie by a zombie particularly enticing.
                    Are you absolutely certain those weren't just work experience people participating in some Job Centre "work for free or get your benefit stopped" scheme to artificially bring the unemployment figures down?

Comment

Working...
                    X