PDA

View Full Version : It's bad enough they are already selling XMas stuff

d000hg
18th October 2012, 15:47
Greggs had people out in the street dressed in baker's white outfits today offering free samples. They were made up as ghouls and so on. I assume something to do with Halloween but that's 2 weeks away. Get a grip, Halloween isn't something you build up to for 2 weeks.

Also... I did not find being offered a taste of a meat pie by a zombie particularly enticing.

mudskipper
18th October 2012, 15:49
As a religious person, are you very anti-Halloween?

Was surprised to find how strongly one of the religious mums at school felt about it.

BrilloPad
18th October 2012, 15:57
As a religious person, are you very anti-Halloween?

Was surprised to find how strongly one of the religious mums at school felt about it.

We go to church every week and participate in Halloween. I don't see it as any wose that Father Christmas - which is quasi-religious anyway.

Zippy
18th October 2012, 16:02
It's All Hallows Eve - All Saints Day being the day after (and a day off school) so nowt satanic about it.

mudskipper
18th October 2012, 16:02
We go to church every week and participate in Halloween. I don't see it as any wose that Father Christmas - which is quasi-religious anyway.

Yeah, seems harmless. The lady I was talking to considered it 'dabbling with the occult'

Bunk
18th October 2012, 16:05
Yeah, seems harmless. The lady I was talking to considered it 'dabbling with the occult'

I thought it was originally pagan. Which to some people seems to mean occult.

d000hg
18th October 2012, 16:43
These days it's all just a mish-mash of hedonism and consumerism, where the roots are from I don't know but it's specifically the celebration of the occult which would be the issue - pretending to cast spells and all that guff.

I don't personally mind it and I don't see it as a major issue even to pretty hardline Christians in 90% of cases but my wife has a bee in her bonnet about it. Mucking about and make-believe are grey areas really... lots of "fundamentalist" Christians love Harry Potter but disapprove of Halloween, in my church I'd say on balance most disapprove but by no means all.
The drinking and wearing nearly nothing might be a bigger issue!

I don't know why but bizarrely Halloween and Catholicism seem to go very closely together.

hyperD
18th October 2012, 17:36
The drinking and wearing nearly nothing might be a bigger issue!

It must be Halloween every day in hyperD Towers... :laugh

doodab
18th October 2012, 17:49
It must be Halloween every day in hyperD Towers... :laugh

Nothing wrong with getting pissed in your dressing gown as long as you close it when the takeaway delivery comes

Gentile
18th October 2012, 18:03
Greggs had people out in the street dressed in baker's white outfits today offering free samples. They were made up as ghouls and so on. I assume something to do with Halloween but that's 2 weeks away. Get a grip, Halloween isn't something you build up to for 2 weeks.

Also... I did not find being offered a taste of a meat pie by a zombie particularly enticing.

Are you absolutely certain those weren't just work experience people participating in some Job Centre "work for free or get your benefit stopped" scheme to artificially bring the unemployment figures down?

Zippy
18th October 2012, 18:09
Nothing wrong with getting pissed in your dressing gown as long as you close it when the trick-or-treat kids come round

FTFY

bless 'em all
18th October 2012, 18:13
Can I answer the door in my shiny gold track-suit and long blond wig, or is it too soon?

d000hg
18th October 2012, 18:19
Are you absolutely certain those weren't just work experience people participating in some Job Centre "work for free or get your benefit stopped" scheme to artificially bring the unemployment figures down?No, one of them smiled.

escapeUK
18th October 2012, 18:30
Anything really evil would keep away from such crassness.

hyperD
18th October 2012, 18:31
Can I answer the door in my shiny gold track-suit and long blond wig, or is it too soon?

:laugh

And I told a mate of mine I was going to do that earlier today! Nice one!

hyperD
18th October 2012, 18:35
Nothing wrong with getting pissed in your dressing gown as long as you close it when the takeaway delivery comes

Had an American client, working from home on that fixed price work, had a Skype video conference with the director and had got(ten) so used to working all day in my soiled grundies that I just accepted the video call.

It took a full 2 minutes from looking at the odd expression on his face that my appearance to him, was one of a naked, dishevelled contractor staring at him as though it was a perfectly normal thing to do.

I don't think he liked the look of my moobs, to be honest.

vetran
18th October 2012, 23:15

A finger in every Pie?

:igmc:

Is it weird to be lusting after Selma Hayek even though she is a Vampire in a truck stop?