• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET Need Advice. Developer From Aus looking for first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET Need Advice. Developer From Aus looking for first contract

Hi All,

I'm new here and new to London and am looking for my first contract. I have been here 3 weeks and only had 2 interviews so far ( neither successful ) and none coming up. I have been sending my CV to agents via jobsites such as CWJobs and also registered my CV on a few sites.

What am I doing wrong? I thought experienced .NET developers were in reasonable demand. Was I being naive?

For the record I am a .NET developer with 6 years IT experience, most as a senior .NET developer. I have been technical lead on projects for the last few years. I have extensive experience with SQL Server backends also.

Is there little demand for this? Are there tricks of the trade to get a contract of which I am unaware? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

These guys are recruiting at the moment...

Job Opportunities for Antipodeans
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I think you'll find the market is a uncertain at the moment. The stock market took a dive and banks, key employers, may have suddenly have suddenly got nervous. Also the UK generally, is looking a bit shaky at the moment.

It just means things will take a bit longer, before the imfamous .NET gravy train picks up a bit of steam.

If its London and banks you're looking at and you don't have banking then you maybe at a disadvantage.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

If it says Australian on your CV either remove it or put British. I have dual nationality, but used to just have Australian on my CV and I used to get a bit of grief from agencies wanting to know whether my visa was valid, how long it lasted etc etc so I changed it to British and it was cool. Are u using Jobserve? Is your CV Euro friendly? Have a look at other people with similar skillsets and see how their CV's compared to yours.
        Last edited by Joe Black.; 19 June 2006, 10:44.

Comment

Oh and if you're from Queensland don't tell anyone that. Just lie and say you're from somewhere normal like Perth or Sydney.

Comment

I am a .NET developer with 6 years IT experience, most as a senior .NET developer. I have been technical lead on projects for the last few years. I have extensive experience with SQL Server backends also.

I don't know what kind of industry / business you were in before but I would say 6 years isn't a great deal as a total in IT and I'd be surprised (or impressed) if you were the technical lead dev after only 3 years experience. The standards are (a bit) higher in the London market. You will be competing against some very experienced contractors.

You will surely get in somewhere but (from reading between the lines) don't expect the sweetest contracts straight off the boat.

I have worked for 3 years in Sydney (Olympics / Qantas) so I've seen the Aussie market up close.

Comment

Why don't you go get a bar job in Shephards Bush?

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                Why don't you go get a bar job in Shephards Bush?
                Well it's a bit of struggle to get bar work these days the South Africans do it for 1/4 of the wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela_D
                  I don't know what kind of industry / business you were in before but I would say 6 years isn't a great deal as a total in IT and I'd be surprised (or impressed) if you were the technical lead dev after only 3 years experience. The standards are (a bit) higher in the London market.
                  not necessarily... I have just under 6 years experience and have done plenty of lead tech dev roles and also team and project leading... all based in london.
                  "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

...ah but janey you're not in a bank on £600 a day.

(me neither )
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X