• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who thought British ingenuity was dead!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who thought British ingenuity was dead!

A technology that goes one better than carbon capture could be crucial in fighting climate change - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Bye bye fecked up middle east. (I hope)
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Running the numbers it would work out about £20 per litre for petrol based on scaling up the system, so be my guest.

Comment

Indeed. Can't be bothered to get out my ancient chemistry books and check but it sounds like crap.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got a system that makes petrol out of gold mixed with crushed diamonds and is powered by Premier League footballers on treadmills.

Comment

Now we just need some nuclear power stations to generate the electricity to get it to work.

Comment

Actually, putting dynamos on treadmills ain't a bad idea. I must waste quite a bit of energy on mine.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Actually, putting dynamos on treadmills ain't a bad idea. I must waste quite a bit of energy on mine.
              You can generate about 200 to 250 watts continually if you're fit. That won't get you far, beyond powering the flashing lights on the treadmill computer. Chris Hoy manages about 2kW for about 3 seconds at a time.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If only reporters knew some basic chemistry and enthalpies then we wouldn't have to read this. A technology which is only viable because governments class it as green to waste 80% of energy to make 'clean' fuel and subsidise it, almost as clever as storing CO2 in permeable rock

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  You can generate about 200 to 250 watts continually if you're fit. That won't get you far, beyond powering the flashing lights on the treadmill computer. Chris Hoy manages about 2kW for about 3 seconds at a time.
                  200W is enough to run a desktop PC or to light your home, the treadmill should use more like 5W surely?

How long can you output 700W for, is it long enough to heat up a ready meal in the microwave?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The process is still in the early stages of development, and far too inefficient yet to compete with conventional fossil fuels. There are efficiency problems at each stage, from capturing the carbon dioxide from air to combining it catalytically with hydrogen derived from water vapour to make Syngas, methanol and more complex hydrocarbons.
                    No one is saying it's the finished article, anything like this takes a bit of development. The important thing is that if they can get it to say 90% efficiency and the energy that goes in doesn't come from burning fossil fuel then petrol stops being part of the problem and becomes the state of the art high density energy storage system. So we can all keep on using our cars. Has to be worth a punt IMO.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X