• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"No limits" immigration contributes to housing shortage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5092308.stm

...and the rest... energy ... water ...

More here:

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/pres...ssreleases.asp

"Our report clearly demonstrates that the highest levels of immigration in our history have been deliberately encouraged without proper consideration of its consequences."

I don't remember that being in the Labour 1997 Manifesto!
    Last edited by NoddY; 19 June 2006, 11:58.

Mass immigration, so goes the new Liebour thinking equates to :-

* increased employment figures, thereby helping to disguise increasing unemployment.

* more Liebour voters

Liebour's thinking is for once, quite correct.

This country used to have a healthy and sensible attitude to immigration reflected in Gov't policy. The UK did have a proud tradition and history WRT immigration.

But Liebour have gone a long way to destroying all this by literally flooding the country with all sorts of immigrants.

The problems created are and will be far more reaching.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
      Mass immigration, so goes the new Liebour thinking equates to :-

* increased employment figures, thereby helping to disguise increasing unemployment.

* more Liebour voters

Liebour's thinking is for once, quite correct.

This country used to have a healthy and sensible attitude to immigration reflected in Gov't policy. The UK did have a proud tradition and history WRT immigration.

1/ How can there be increasing employment to disguise unemployment?
      2/ I'm guessing you don't remember the last government? Michael Howard started the whole immigration mess, I don't remember his sensible policies?

FFS there are some idiots about these days
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Ah, so house prices will keep going up.....

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
          1/ How can there be increasing employment to disguise unemployment?
          Simple, percentage number of unemployed measured against "working population". If working population is increasing faster than the increase in people on the dole then the percentage "unemployed" will drop.

In recent years, unemployment & people on incapacity benefits has increased substantially but there has been a even larger increase in the working population due to pensioners returning to the jobs market (cos their pensions have been f*****d up and huge influx of people coming to the UK for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
            How can there be increasing employment to disguise unemployment?
            Easy.

With many hundreds of thousands of new immigrants coming into the UK each year, many or most take up the more low paid jobs.

How many times do we hear New Liebour crowing on about, "Never have we had higher employment than now". It is probably true.

But unemployment amongst the indigenous population is also increasing just as surely. They don't mention that though.

I'm guessing you don't remember the last government? Michael Howard started the whole immigration mess, I don't remember his sensible policies?
            You guess wrong. I do remember. I agree the uncontrolled immigration did start under Howard.

I think you're being a bit harsh calling yourself an idiot though.

Comment

Easy.

With many hundreds of thousands of new immigrants coming into the UK each year, many or most take up the more low paid jobs.

How many times do we hear New Liebour crowing on about, "Never have we had higher employment than now". It is probably true.

But unemployment amongst the indigenous population is also increasing just as surely. They don't mention that though.

You guess wrong. I do remember. I agree the uncontrolled immigration did start under Howard.

I think you're being a bit harsh calling yourself an idiot though.

I'm calling you an idiot, you idiot.

Since when did they start publishing unemployment statistics by race and job sector? Oh they don't do they, never mind why not just make a wild assumptions.You really ought to stop reading The Sun, it's a comic not real life.

Your arguement = the reason there are few unemployed is because there are plenty of jobs!

And if these immigrants are taking all the new jobs, while UKjack is being sacked then surely there are plenty of jobs for UKjack also?

As for the last Government, they encouraged swathes of immigration to lower wages. Are you saying this was a good policy?
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Doesn't half seem like you're calling yourself an idiot.

If you don't like my explanation, Hart-floot explained it simply enough.

Comment

Agree with Noddy. Where's the evidence to back up these hypotheses?
                  And not sure that immigrants are the cause of rising prices. As I've pointed out before, house price rises are a global phenomenon and seem uncorrelated to the level of immigration to a country e.g. cf Netherlands and Germany
                  Last edited by sasguru; 19 June 2006, 13:50.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

That is some real f*ucked logic you've got there. If much of the 'indigenous population' was unable to find jobs, this would surely manifest itself in the unemployment figures.

Comment

Working...
                    X