• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man get 4 months in prison for a wearing a t-shirt the state enforcers didnt like

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man get 4 months in prison for a wearing a t-shirt the state enforcers didnt like

Man jailed for wearing anti-police T-shirt on day PCs killed - Telegraph

Omg where is this tulliphole of a country going?

Police welcomed the prison term handed down to Thew, a serial offender who was given a further four months for breaching the terms of an earlier sentence.
    Don't let the facts get in the way though. Sorry if that seems pedantic.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Judge Peter Lakin sentenced him to four months in jail for the public order offence, and another four months for the breach of the earlier sentence.
      Wrong again then. And to think I had to look on IE to bypass the block filter to see if you had for once said something worth reading.

Comment

to be fair, IMO, wearing a t-shirt like that after those deaths, he got off lightly.

Comment

Where's the line to be drawn do you think, eUK? Jokes about murdered police officers? Jokes about abducted children? Or perhaps we should just let people say whatever they want? When the genocide took place in Rwanda back in 1994, that started with hate messages being broadcast over public radio stations, and ended up inciting genocide. Shouting "bomb!" on a plane at 30,000ft is probably out too. So, perhaps context and intent need to be considered as well as the right to free speech? With rights come responsibilities and all that.

I don't think the UK's perfect by a long, long way. And you only need to look at cases like Babar Ahmad's being held without trial for eight years before finally being extradited to the US to answer charges about a website written here to question some of the decisions made by the UK's Courts in relation to free speech on UK soil. But when it comes to some muppet wandering around with a T-shirt containing a slogan revelling in the deaths of two young police officers only hours after their murder in the city in which they were killed, I doubt many right-thinking people would have a problem with the Courts responding to that kind of antisocial behaviour that is likely to incite public disorder with a custodial sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Wrong again then. And to think I had to look on IE to bypass the block filter to see if you had for once said something worth reading.
            Lol, we're as bad as each other this time. Though you do imply you hadn't read it before starting the thread.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
              Where's the line to be drawn do you think, eUK? Jokes about murdered police officers? Jokes about abducted children? Or perhaps we should just let people say whatever they want? When the genocide took place in Rwanda back in 1994, that started with hate messages being broadcast over public radio stations, and ended up inciting genocide. Shouting "bomb!" on a plane at 30,000ft is probably out too. So, perhaps context and intent need to be considered as well as the right to free speech? With rights come responsibilities and all that.

I don't think the UK's perfect by a long, long way. And you only need to look at cases like Babar Ahmad's being held without trial for eight years before finally being extradited to the US to answer charges about a website written here to question some of the decisions made by the UK's Courts in relation to free speech on UK soil. But when it comes to some muppet wandering around with a T-shirt containing a slogan revelling in the deaths of two young police officers only hours after their murder in the city in which they were killed, I doubt many right-thinking people would have a problem with the Courts responding to that kind of antisocial behaviour that is likely to incite public disorder with a custodial sentence.
              WSS. But then EscapeUk doesn't have the wit to escape the UK, so his life is just one long whinge.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

At least he had his baseball cap on the right way round. Thats mitigating surely ?

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If he hates coppers so much he's probably better off in prison, little chance of meeting one there.
                  Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                    Where's the line to be drawn do you think, eUK? Jokes about murdered police officers?
                    There should be no line. Freedom of speech. He wasnt inciting anyone to do anything like Babar, or even causing a security problem like your example of being on a plane. He wore a t-shirt that some might find distasteful, though others may agree with it.

What you might not know about this chap and it takes a bit of digging around, is that Barry's teenage son died while in police custody 3 years ago. I suspect the police in charge of the lad were not to blame, just like the one who killed Ian Tomlinson who got away with it.

You see, when you stop people being able to speak up you lose your freedom. You are free unless you say something we dont agree with. Is that freedom?

Comment

Working...
                    X