• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting to another contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting to another contractor

Reporting to another contractor...
    Recently got into a new contract where my project manager is also a contractor who signs my timesheet. The permie boss we report to is in another location and is never visible; so it's always this contractor pm who reports my progress to him. It's being a month and I do find this contractor pm put me up in a spot every now and then. Should i just ignore as long as I get my daily dough? What should I be wary off?

Put you on the spot more than a permie client manager? What do you mean by this. Are you sure this isn't just part of the role?

You are going to have to find this one out yourself. Whatever the outcome you just have to get your head down and delivery. I certainly wouldn't be expecting any favours from a contractor manager if that is what you are looking for but I can't even say he will screw you to make himself look good. I have had to report to both permies and contractors. In both cases some were good, some were bad. One contractor manager was a twat and treated me more like an employee than a permie would and I have had one guy where we looked out for each other being contractors.

Got just make sure you deliver what you say when you say and see how it pans out.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had PMs who have been contractors and permies. In my experience is doesn't make any difference and it's more about their individual personalities rather than contract status.

Possibly PM is putting you on the spot to test you or assert dominance in first few weeks. Just act professionally and do your job well and you will probably earn their respect. I'd also try and maintain a relationship with the permie manager,

My philosophy - which I think applies equally to permie and contract roles - is that your main objective in any job is to "make your manager look good".

Comment

This thread is also in General. My comments

As an IT PM in my current role I 'report' into a contractor Change PM and am also on a higher rate than him. No issues here (that I am aware of) and we get on pretty well. I trust him no more or less than anyone else I would be reporting into if they were a permie and watch my back in the same way.

Comment

I've also had mixed results.
          Some contractor PMs are excellent at what they do and I have a lot of respect for the ones that genuinely take an interest in the work and deal with all the politics and interference, and sort out any other blocking issues.

But wouldn't it be great if they were all like that? Although they're generally more clued up than permie PMs, they can lack a sense of responsibility for the contractors delivering work for them. One I'm working with at the moment seems a little weak when dealing with higher level managers, and has pushed me in front of them to explain issues and report slips in delivery (due to forces outside my control of course).

I feel that this is because he's not used to PMing my kind of project and he's also juggling two others where he's dealing with a lot of permies, whereas I'm a contractor and on my tod. Could your situation be similar to this?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I've also had mixed results.
            Some contractor PMs are excellent at what they do and I have a lot of respect for the ones that genuinely take an interest in the work and deal with all the politics and interference, and sort out any other blocking issues.

But wouldn't it be great if they were all like that? Although they're generally more clued up than permie PMs, they can lack a sense of responsibility for the contractors delivering work for them. One I'm working with at the moment seems a little weak when dealing with higher level managers, and has pushed me in front of them to explain issues and report slips in delivery (due to forces outside my control of course).

I feel that this is because he's not used to PMing my kind of project and he's also juggling two others where he's dealing with a lot of permies, whereas I'm a contractor and on my tod. Could your situation be similar to this?
            Absolutely similar case with me. I am a soln designer. This contractor PM of mine has no delivery management experience, and takes the word of the permies at face value- quotes, estimates, quality of deliveries; and when things go wrong questions my design rather than the work of the permies.

Comment

I'm currently contracting with this setup (ie contractor PM is authorising time sheets) at first it didn't sit well, but someone has to authorise them, is it any different to a permie?

I'll just get on with, it's only time sheets and not checking how I'm getting the work done. Any issue you can always take it further up line. Or leave.

HTH and good luck

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I dont give a **** whether who I report into is permie or contract. As others have said, they can both be good and both be twats.

Im more bothered about whether they recognise Im not an employee more than anything which is how one contract PM treated everyone ie as ******* employees. I had to stand my ground on things like start \ finish times, leave arrangements (he wanted me to fill a form in like the permie's FFS!) etc.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Sid, without knowing the PM (i.e. their character & performance) it's difficult to make a call.

The least you could do is to help the PM understand why and how he might consider taking a closer look at the permie work. Even offer to help him in that process with your expertise (as his technical advisor sat by his side).

He might be confident picking at a fellow contractor's work, but insecure about doing the same with the permie work.

If he's a decent chap, he might appreciate that and your relationship might improve. If he's a twat, then at least you know you tried your best to help the situation.

Comment

Working...
                  X