• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you don't know it.... Buy a book.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as I get ready for my new job next month, I went through the spec and realised that there were a number of things I was not at all confident in, in fact some I'd never heard of.

And this is where I think the contractor ability to learn on the job versus the classical perm approach of 'I need to be sent on a training course' kicks in. One hour later and £320 spent & 14 heavyweight tomes winging their way on Express delivery for Monday from Amazon.

A little gentle reading, I'll be an expert in next to no time.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well as I get ready for my new job next month, I went through the spec and realised that there were a number of things I was not at all confident in, in fact some I'd never heard of.

And this is where I think the contractor ability to learn on the job versus the classical perm approach of 'I need to be sent on a training course' kicks in. One hour later and £320 spent & 14 heavyweight tomes winging their way on Express delivery for Monday from Amazon.

Haven't you been contracting with this firm for ages as the "expert". Why on earth do you need to know stuff now your going perm.
    Last edited by eek; 20 October 2012, 19:09.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Go on MF, give us your reading list then?

Are you going to have to take all 14 books with you on that flight?!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I give it a week before you're on here whinging about not being able to hack it.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Haven't you been contracting with this firm for ages as the "expert". Why on earth do you need to know stuff now your going perm.
          It's not really technical stuff. It's more of a strategic role. 1st thing is the evaluation, selection and implementation of a new CRM system and a seperate PRM system. So I've bought books on SAP CRM, Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce & some generic books on CRM selection/evaluation. Then I wanted some high level books on MDM as I've designed that &wanted to make sure I'm following best practices. Two on BPM for good measure as I own a number of processes that need re-engineering oh and I threw in one on Tableau as I was going to implement that for the BI side.

If the worse comes to the worse least I've got something to burn if we have a powercut this winter.

Comment

Fair enoughski that almost make sense. As for crm options your real choice is cloud or non cloud. Dynamics may be a risk if you can't so cloud as it may be going 100% cloud down the line

Comment

Also I know a BPM guy from the (northern) Home Counties who is coming up to the end of his current contract. I think he's available from November 5th which sounds like it will fit perfectly.

Comment

Fair enoughski that almost make sense. As for crm options your real choice is cloud or non cloud. Dynamics may be a risk if you can't so cloud as it may be going 100% cloud down the line
                It will be a cloud option, none of that on premise stuff. Let Gartner be your starting point, define core processes & functionality by key roles, bench mark using a logical scoring methodology, cost analysis, resources, risk analysis, ease of implementation & integration, scalability, adoption, vendor roadmap, get the vendors in, present to the stakeholders and then watch the sparks fly. Sweet.

Comment

Also I know a BPM guy from the (northern) Home Counties who is coming up to the end of his current contract. I think he's available from November 5th which sounds like it will fit perfectly.
                  If it's Luton. I'll pass.

Comment

Working...
                  X