• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another one

Anger grows over large companies' tax bills as attention turns to eBay and Ikea | Business | guardian.co.uk

Seems these articles have been appearing for about week now and mentioning all the major players, thing is it's not as anything can be done as it's all legal as we've established in other threads. Question is as a consumer would you now think twice about buying from these companies? knowing that your money ends up elsewhere.
    In Scooter we trust

At what point does 'tax avoidance' become 'aggressive tax avoidance'?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      Question is as a consumer would you now think twice about buying from these companies? knowing that your money ends up elsewhere.
      No.

Question is, does the government have the balls to legislate aggressively to stop this. If not, then there's no point getting into a frazzle about it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        At what point does 'tax avoidance' become 'aggressive tax avoidance'?
        When aggressive tax avoidance becomes a crime, until then Hector can go ****
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Serious question for a sec - I know a shocker for General - but how do you legislate to stop this?

It seems that they effectively operate a shell company in a tax haven and charge for using the license. If you closed this down I guess it would break the existing franchise model for 'real' franchises?

Alternatively they do similar deals by loaning from the parent company at a highly punitive interest rate (also based in a tax haven). If you closed down inter-company/international loaning, that would break the startup model where a US forms a satellite UK company (start up software company establishing a UK presence for example).

The final way I've seen described was with Starbucks buying very expensive coffee beans from Switzerland (that great coffee bean growing nation), causing the UK profits to plummet and the Swiss company to make massive profits. Who is to say what is a 'fair' price for a commodity?

I don't really see an elegant way of closing all these loopholes.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            No.

Question is, does the government have the balls to legislate aggressively to stop this. If not, then there's no point getting into a frazzle about it, IMO.
            I'll admit it's pretty hard to get away from buying on Amazon I spend quite a lot on there, as for eBay meh I tend not to use it, I just found it funny as the article referred to the anti-cuts march and people shouting pay your taxes as they passed Starbucks, it seemed somewhat ironic to me.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Serious question for a sec - I know a shocker for General - but how do you legislate to stop this?

It seems that they effectively operate a shell company in a tax haven and charge for using the license. If you closed this down I guess it would break the existing franchise model for 'real' franchises?

Alternatively they do similar deals by loaning from the parent company at a highly punitive interest rate (also based in a tax haven). If you closed down inter-company/international loaning, that would break the startup model where a US forms a satellite UK company (start up software company establishing a UK presence for example).

The final way I've seen described was with Starbucks buying very expensive coffee beans from Switzerland (that great coffee bean growing nation), causing the UK profits to plummet and the Swiss company to make massive profits. Who is to say what is a 'fair' price for a commodity?

I don't really see an elegant way of closing all these loopholes.
              "Ramsay principle"

Tax avoidance: HMRC could gain billions as court rules against 'artificial' scheme - Telegraph

It requires the balls to pursue it.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                So they just look into the profits and costs and say, "Right company A, you're clearly taking the piss. Pay up now?"

How does HMRC then calculate the correct amount of tax? Let's assume Adama Coffee is avoiding paying tax by being charged £1 per bean buying coffee from Switzerland, taking £1bn in sales to £1 in profit. That would pass the 'you're clearly taking the piss' test, but then how do you define how much they should pay? On a fair market price for coffee?

Who decides what's a fair market price? Adama coffee might say, "Ah yes, a normal bean would only be 1p, but ours have been hand roasted by Swiss virgins on top of the alps to ensure a fuller flavour, so are clearly worth £1 each."

The problem is that unless you have a fairly black and white set of rules all you'll do is make a lot of tax lawyers very rich.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  So they just look into the profits and costs and say, "Right company A, you're clearly taking the piss. Pay up now?"

How does HMRC then calculate the correct amount of tax? Let's assume Adama Coffee is avoiding paying tax by being charged £1 per bean buying coffee from Switzerland, taking £1bn in sales to £1 in profit. That would pass the 'you're clearly taking the piss' test, but then how do you define how much they should pay? On a fair market price for coffee?

Who decides what's a fair market price? Adama coffee might say, "Ah yes, a normal bean would only be 1p, but ours have been hand roasted by Swiss virgins on top of the alps to ensure a fuller flavour, so are clearly worth £1 each."

The problem is that unless you have a fairly black and white set of rules all you'll do is make a lot of tax lawyers very rich.
                  true which is why you have to set expectations and negotiate, they can get away with it so they do.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    I just found it funny as the article referred to the anti-cuts march and people shouting pay your taxes as they passed Starbucks, it seemed somewhat ironic to me.
                    Indeed!

But the prols will never understand that. They look at a banker or someone with more than they have and shout about fair taxes by which they mean, rich bastards should pay more. Rich being anyone with more than them. It's depressing.

Comment

Working...
                    X