• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much clout does Parliament have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much clout does Parliament have?

Not in law making, I think I got that covered already, but when it comes to select committees (of which by my reckoning there is at least 70 over the two houses) calling people to give account in front of them?

Just reading how the CEO of Starbucks is being called in front of a committee to explain why his company paid no corporation tax for three years, I assume if he had done something wrong it would be the Police/HMRC he would be talking to, so can he therefore just tell them to go forth and do one?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I would be tempted to tell them to feck off although their brand reputation will be a killer for them if they do.

It is pretty embarrassing that the government have to get the company in to explain the tax laws despite having their accounts filed.

We all know it will descend into "do you think it is right that you pay so little tax" as if tax is some charity fund that should be paid into based on moral obligation.

I would take in a Tolley's tax guide and from the first question start at page 1, continue to the last page and refuse any interruption as I am explaining how UK taxation works.
    Last edited by minestrone; 22 October 2012, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Not in law making, I think I got that covered already, but when it comes to select committees (of which by my reckoning there is at least 70 over the two houses) calling people to give account in front of them?

Just reading how the CEO of Starbucks is being called in front of a committee to explain why his company paid no corporation tax for three years, I assume if he had done something wrong it would be the Police/HMRC he would be talking to, so can he therefore just tell them to go forth and do one?
      Can't make people appear, and can't punish those who lie in front of them. I think some senior exec from Kraft refused to turn up to one. Anyone remember Galloway in front of the Senate in the States? Pretty much the same thing here. Apparently, they are looking at new laws to make it illegal to refuse, and to lie. But there are no current ones.

They're pretty much as good as tits on a bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        They're pretty much as good as tits on a bull.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Not much clout at all but the media have which is why they won't refuse the 'summons'
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X