• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Playing nicely with others

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing nicely with others

So here’s a problem.

MyCo is doing a piece of work for ClientCo that involves travel between a few sites. Their head office (mainly) and some satellite offices at either ends of the country. As this is a large piece of work there is more than just me working on it, there’s a permie scheduling the events and there are also a handful of employees from an offshore Tea company. My next bunch of meetings are in the North and so I’m intending to travel up the night before and stay in a hotel to be fresh for the 9am start (location is 3 1/2 hours from MyCo’s home office and 2 hours from ClientCo’s head office)
    Now none of the employees of the tea producer can drive and there is an expectation from them (and the ClientCo to some extent) that I will swing by the ClientCo head office and pick them up and take them to the satellite office so that they can do their work. I don’t want to do this for a number of reasons, not least because it means adding hours to my journey time.

So my dilemma is should I a) do that and pick them up and so look good in ClientCo’s eyes (potential for more work down the line, but an extra 3 hours in the car on that day, with a 4am start) or b) tell ‘em to stuff it, they should be able to make their own way there. (which will land their company in the tulip slightly as they probably won’t be able to attend)

Side note, there is no for me way to get the train there for 9am.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Where are the offshore workers staying.

Assuming its a hotel then offer to take them up with you the night before and suggest they stay in the same hotel you've booked yourself in to.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You have family commitments the night before and hotel has been booked and paid for on non-refundable rate. Sorry no can do.

Another though, does business class 1 insurance cover you for ferrying clients around?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I personally wouldn't, unless you are on very good terms with someone high up there. Good deeds are rarely remembered.

Just handle it a little diplomatically, and say something like. "Oh I couldnt possibly start travelling from 4am id be like a zombie and of no use to anyone. Thats why I intend to go up the night before and stay in a B&B. As I once nearly had an accident travelling so early and I swore never again."

Im sure there's a train that will get them there and into a B&B at a suitable time, suggest they use your B&B as you will happily take them from there to the site, and collect from train etc.

That way you seem helpful and reasonable, but dont end up doing something you really dont want to.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          I personally wouldn't, unless you are on very good terms with someone high up there. Good deeds are rarely remembered.
          Indeed and do it once and it will very quickly become the defacto standard.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You have family commitments the night before and hotel has been booked and paid for on non-refundable rate. Sorry no can do.

Another though, does business class 1 insurance cover you for ferrying clients around?
            Good point, I will check. However are they actually Clients? They are suppliers to a client of mine.
            "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Where are the offshore workers staying.

Assuming its a hotel then offer to take them up with you the night before and suggest they stay in the same hotel you've booked yourself in to.
              The offshore workers have made no arrangements as yet, and are assuming that I will be driving to their houses to pick them up on the morning of the meeting.
              "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Just handle it a little diplomatically, and say something like. "Oh I couldnt possibly start travelling from 4am id be like a zombie and of no use to anyone. Thats why I intend to go up the night before and stay in a B&B. As I once nearly had an accident travelling so early and I swore never again."

Im sure there's a train that will get them there and into a B&B at a suitable time, suggest they use your B&B as you will happily take them from there to the site, and collect from train etc.

That way you seem helpful and reasonable, but dont end up doing something you really dont want to.

I believe that this is the route I'll be taking, mainly because it's such a long way out of my way to get them and take tehm up.
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                  Good point, I will check. However are they actually Clients? They are suppliers to a client of mine.
                  Ok it was a thought but appears I should have google first. The insurance relates to the driver only.

This site... Definitions of different business uses - QuoteA insurance tips and advice.

Says

Note: Irrespective of whether or not the client is getting paid for the work that they do, they may require business use if they are either carrying passengers in the car or using the car to travel between places of work during the day.
                  Forget the insurance option then... Sorry.

Comment

Nope don't do it, say it's out of your way and would put 3 hours on the journey. They can go on the train. If you do do it, just once...I don't see any problem in declining a second trip if you decide to do it the first time to make a good willing impression.

But defo...not on a regular basis.

To be helpful you could find out the times of trains and give them the connections a couple of days before the trip.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 October 2012, 10:41.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X