• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of First Contract With Umbrella Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of First Contract With Umbrella Company

As I understand it, if I complete only one contract with an umbrella company the tax man will regard me as NOT being a contractor and will be chasing me for allowances claimed during the period. I would therefore assume it is normal to remain with the umbrella company to at leased start another contract...yes?

Originally posted by Bones View Post
    As I understand it, if I complete only one contract with an umbrella company the tax man will regard me as NOT being a contractor and will be chasing me for allowances claimed during the period. I would therefore assume it is normal to remain with the umbrella company to at leased start another contract...yes?
    Not quite. In order to claim travel expenses you have to be travelling to a temporary location - your umbrella company should operate an overarching contract of employment which has the legal effect of taking a series of assignments and bringing them all under one employment so that each location is temporary. If, when you sign up with the umbrella, you only intend to complete one assignment it must, by default, become a permanent workplace and therefore travel expenses are not allowable.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Not quite. In order to claim travel expenses you have to be travelling to a temporary location - your umbrella company should operate an overarching contract of employment which has the legal effect of taking a series of assignments and bringing them all under one employment so that each location is temporary. If, when you sign up with the umbrella, you only intend to complete one assignment it must, by default, become a permanent workplace and therefore travel expenses are not allowable.
      How is that answer related to my question?

I have already stated my intension to complete more than one contract position.

Comment

What happens if you complete your first contract and then you are offered a contract abroad?
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

You are correct. However staying for a week just to get the "more than one employment" tick won't work as leaving will be a big flag to HMRC should you be investigated. Also they'll regard you leaving one employment and going to another as friday-monday with regards to IR35. IMO

Comment

Appears to answer your question perfectly to me. Have you tried reading it again.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Glad I bothered

Single assignment - no travel. More than one assignment through the same umbrella company - travel allowable up to 24 months.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Appears to answer your question perfectly to me. Have you tried reading it again.
                Thanks NLUK - thought I'd missed something there for a minute

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

So following on from this:
                  I am with an umbrella, I completed contract term 1 and have signed extension (term 2), I cannot treat this as a seperate assignment even if the terms of service are different, due to the location clause, as in - for now this is my permanent workplace?

That being said, if I don't want to repay tax on expenses, I would need to have another contract at a different location / clientco through the umbrella before setting up a ltd (if that is the way I choose to go)

(Note, I am new to this, have read the info on site and used the search, oh what a joyous task that is!!! , I am just trying to clarify if I have understood it.)

Comment

Single assignment - no travel. More than one assignment through the same umbrella company - travel allowable up to 24 months.
                    What if the umbrella company cannot support you for a particular assignment say for instance in Europe?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X