• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oyster Cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster Cards

How about this for being royally raped. I need to travel from Leyton (Z3) to Hammersmith (Z2) so I bought a Zone 2-3 Oyster card top up for £14 (on a card that had £2.50 available).

I travelled yesterday like this:

Touch in at Leyton. Go to stratford (central). Go to Gunnersbury (North London Line). Go to Hammersmith (District) and touch out. Note: Avoiding zone 1.

Then the same in reverse.

This morning I hit the barrier and find out that my Oyster card is £-0.40 and that I cannot use it until I have:

1. Registered it.
    2. Paid the extra £.40 because their system thinks I'm travelling through Zone 1 and is charging me appropriately.

None of which I can do apparently as my credit card is blocked thanks to them sticking the transaction through twice.

Total rip off. I'm disgusted at it - you just can't win with this city. Whatever you do you get raped. Argh!!!

In conclusion - how Oyster works:

- Record start point A
    - Record end point B
    - Work out the MOST PROFITABLE route between point A and B, rather than the most economical.
    - Charge accordingly

Another failed application if RFID.

Sorry - rant over. I will be buying good old paper tickets from now on.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Someone has to pay for Ken's department.

Comment

Well it ain't going to be me. I'm going to egg the ****er if I ever see him I tell you.

Comment

Is it not possible to touch out/in at the intervening stations, or am I missing something?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Is it not possible to touch out/in at the intervening stations, or am I missing something?
          I did actually do that. Somehow it appears to not know of the existence of the North London line in its database.

Comment

So it would therefore appear to be calculating the most expensive journey. Surely something contary to the Sales of Goods Act?

Comment

Are you allowed to use top-up cards on the BR line?
              I travel on the Heathrow Connect every day and they're clear that season tickets are fine, but prepay topups aren't.

Comment

It's only fair.

Comment

Hows about having two cards! Touch in/out with one, and in/out with the other, and back to the first, rinse, repeat

It'd have to be code written by someone as devious as me to then match up the journey.

Comment

I thought the Oyster card capped the day's charge at the cost of a one day travel card?

Comment

Working...
                    X