• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't pay you because...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't pay you because...

.. All our banking is done online and Internet Explorer is saying "page cannot load", we tried it 4 times already.

You've got to give them marks for originality, although when I pointed out that's what telephone banking is for and perhaps their bank (Natwest) has a online helpdesk you can call to ask for help and allow you to continue banking. Have they tried a 2nd computer? Or perhaps a different browser? All I got was an embarrassed short laugh and "I'll get on it rot away and call you back shortly".

Invoice is 22 days overdue, dunning procedures have begun.
    Last edited by chef; 24 October 2012, 10:01.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Over the last 4 months, I've had:

"I will look into this for you and come back to you as soon as possible"

"Yes, it seems like a few have become delayed somewhere in the system. This was due, I believe to waiting for PO numbers, for the move to the new contract. I will ensure these get caught up over the next few weeks if that is ok with you"

"I just wanted to ask for your assistance with your last few payments. We are waiting for x to make their final payments to us, and I wanted to ask if it was ok for us to wait a few extra days grace to make each of your last payments. I appreciate they are now late, as per your contract, but it would be helpful to us, if we could wait for x to pay us. It will probably mean, each payment is approximately 1 week late"

"I am back in the UK next week so will organise these final payments as soon as possible"

"I will get onto payroll and get them dealt with"

"Can we speak tomorrow? What time suits you and on what number"

"I can confirm we are still in business!. Sorry I haven’t called you. I have been out a lot this week. I am travelling currently, but should be able to give you a call this afternoon"

"Sorry I didn't call. Bad form I know. I will put a payment in for you early next week and then sort the final one soon after.
    Sorry for the delay - it is very unprofessional I know"

"We are really struggling with some payments currently due to some unforeseen circumstances. We have some very bad debt that we are struggling to recover, and it has had a knock on effect on our ability to pay some of our own creditors. As a small company, things like this are very difficult for us to deal with. My contractors are my number 1 priority, and I will ensure you are paid, but I cant at this stage promise a specific date, as I am being messed around a lot with our own debtors."

"We are currently undergoing some cash flow difficulties, due to some bad debt from some of our largest clients. Although they are not connected to you, they are affecting some of our suppliers, and for that I am very sorry. I would like to respectfully ask you to allow us some time to make these payments to you, and I will commit to making them. I do not want to default, and am very sorry that I have breached our terms and conditions with the payment terms."

"Apologies for the non contact. I will start this next week with the first payment. I hope this is acceptable"

"I will have an update for you tomorrow. The plan is to pay weekly as agreed, yes"

I believe the other contractors have been paid so it's just me he doesn't seem to like, despite his kind words. They'll be added to the agencies to avoid in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      .. All our banking is done online and Internet Explorer is saying "page cannot load", we tried it 4 times already.

You've got to give them marks for originality, although when I pointed out that's what telephone banking is for and perhaps their bank (Natwest) has a online helpdesk you can call to ask for help and allow you to continue banking. Have they tried a 2nd computer? Or perhaps a different browser? All I got was an embarrassed short laugh and "I'll get on it rot away and call you back shortly".

Thought you were in germany?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

We wrote the book on excuses
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          You mean EUtopia?

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

Maybe they recieved it from the customer but are having difficulty putting it together.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Currently, yes I am. I live in Germany, currently working from home, client is based in Sweden, agent is uk based and a long standing agent that over the years has passed a lot of work my way.

It seems that the tech issues have now been fixed and payment is guaranteed to go through today, a bit like Groundhog Day really as yesterday I was also told it was guaranteed to go through then and that the reason I hadn't been paid was that their outsourced finance firm had me down as being on 30 day payment terms not 14 as my contract states. On Friday the excuse was that for some reason I wasn't on the list to get paid (despite a reminder 5 days before payment was due sent to both agent and accounting firm).

Dunning process is still going ahead until I see payment pending in my account and a late payment fee is being added to next months invoice.

Agent is very quickly heading towards my avoid list despite the years I've worked with them.

Comment

Is it allowable to charge backdated Late Payment fee's ? I can't find anywhere where it says it isn't allowed as essentially the payment was paid late and I've simply not yet claimed the late payment fee.

The agent in question has paid the last 6 invoices late, usually by 2-4 days (i.e the friday after invoice is due) for the last 6 months.

Comment

Could you effectively walk out until you get paid and tell the client words to that effect? Just asking as it's something I would think about doing if I was in that situation.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Could you effectively walk out until you get paid and tell the client words to that effect? Just asking as it's something I would think about doing if I was in that situation.
                    Currently working from home and client work is quite quiet with everything either dealt with or awaiting replies from others before the work can continue, 3 meetings today have been rescheduled or cancelled and so I'm busy unpacking boxes from our recent house move..

Comment

Working...
                    X