• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is my contract worth opening a company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is my contract worth opening a company?

hello world,
    i am very new to contracting world.
    i got 3 months of contract, pay is 130 gbp per day.

what do you suggest? should i join umbrella company? or open my own limited company? which option would give me more money (net income)?

i can handle hassle involved with opening a company if it gives me more money - in fact i think it's no more of hassle if you go with accountant - they do all paper work.

anyway, please suggest.

my expenses are going to be on public transport and food, primarily.

thanks.

Originally posted by pappa View Post
    hello world,

what do you suggest? should i join umbrella company? or open my own limited company? which option would give me more money (net income)?

i can handle hassle involved with opening a company if it gives me more money - in fact i think it's no more of hassle if you go with accountant - they do all paper work.

anyway, please suggest.

thanks.
    I suggest look to the right hand side of the page.
    Look under the heading CUK Navigation
    Click on the 3rd item down called "First Timers"
    You may also want to click on "Limited Companies" & "Umbrella Companies"

Are you going to be contracting all the time or will this be your only contract - if the latter then a brolly is the way to go for 3 months, but you need to do a bit of research first.

Comment

PS - welcome to the world of contracting

Comment

I suggest look to the right hand side ....oh hang on.. Bugger...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I can point out that this is the Business/Contracts section of the forum, not the Finance. In the Finance section there is a sub fora dedicated to Umbrellas in which you will find some threads that will answer your question such as...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...composite.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...fraid-ask.html

Also do a search for contractor calulators. You will find the tools to compare the take home of you running and LTD vs a Brolly to help you make the choice.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, three months is a good cut off point.

If this will be a one off, then I'd say Umbrella.

If you can anticipate it going longer the think about your own company.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              As a rule of thumb, three months is a good cut off point.

If this will be a one off, then I'd say Umbrella.

If you can anticipate it going longer the think about your own company.
              But remember if it is a one off he can't claim travelling expenses I believe if recent threads are anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by pappa View Post
                hello world,

anyway, please suggest.

thanks.
                If you're only on £130, I'd steer clear of contracting; you can earn more in Private Hire Car's, or as a chef, in a good Indian restaurant, or as a hospital porter, they earn a good crack...

Comment

can't cook or drive

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  If you're only on £130, I'd steer clear of contracting; you can earn more in Private Hire Car's, or as a chef, in a good Indian restaurant, or as a hospital porter, they earn a good crack...
                  thanks for suggestion but I can't cook or drive

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I can point out that this is the Business/Contracts section of the forum, not the Finance. In the Finance section there is a sub fora dedicated to Umbrellas in which you will find some threads that will answer your question such as...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...composite.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...fraid-ask.html

Also do a search for contractor calulators. You will find the tools to compare the take home of you running and LTD vs a Brolly to help you make the choice.
                    thanks for pointing to this thread.
                    i know i can find general information over google. what i was expecting is some personal advice like minimum accountancy fee is 180 gbp per month and your salary is 2600 gbp per month and 1 time company opening fee is 100........ so your take home would be................... something like that...

Comment

Working...
                    X