• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do with your life...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with your life...

... if you didn't need to work to maintain your current standard of living? (Shamelessly ripped from Sas' thread about impregnating his cleaner).

I've idly thought about this a bit recently in terms of receiving a large inheritance (my grandfather is in his late 90s and my father has just been diagnosed with the big C*), or if my plan B took off and a larger company wanted to acquire it.

I think I'd have to find work of some sort... maybe music, or I have a couple of computer games I'd like to see made, whether I work on them or pay someone to make them for me.

*No that wasn't my first thought on the subject.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    my father has just been diagnosed with the big C*),

*No that wasn't my first thought on the subject.
    Sorry to hear that, mine is living with cancer, prognosis however is good, caught reasonably early and not so aggressive, hope your father's turns out as well.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Indeed, sorry to hear that.

I intend being out of the game in 7 years, winding down from next year. We've bought a small holding, and are cashing in all our assets to go mortgage free next year. Then we're rebuilding the Barns, turning some into holiday lets, and going to try and live as much through our own produce as possible. However, we want to put a few quid into some flats locally once we're up and running, so we have a fall back, and retirement income.

Not filthy rich, not even rich, just comfortable and out of the rat race, that's the aim.

Comment

I think I'd still work, albeit though probably buying and redeveloping properties.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd ride and care for horses.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

It's not so much IT that I dislike but writing dull mundane code doing applications initially written by complete morons for uninspiring companies who employ pampered thick arseholes for end users. I would think that would be a common feeling around here.

If I am off I usually hire an office desk on the cheap ( 120 quid a month round here ) where I can do some work on various plan Bs I have. I can spend 3 or 4 hours a day on them usually. I would run at least 2 hours a day and play the drums & piano more. I think I have an album in me if I have the time. Watch a movie every afternoon.

Comment

I'd spend 1 day per week playing PS3 and XBox games. 2 days per week volunteering to help people in financial difficulty, and/or homeless. 2 days would be reserved for home and family stuff, and then 2 days at the weekend for doing whatever we normally do at the weekend. And I'd split my time between here in summer and overseas in winter.

I might be tempted to start some businesses which I can pass on to other people in the family at less than market value to get them out their dead end jobs.
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

If I am off I usually hire an office desk on the cheap ( 120 quid a month round here ) where I can do some work on various plan Bs I have.
                Why do that when you could work from home for free?

Comment

I'd post on CUK all day.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I'd ride and care for horses.
                    Me too. But I'd have to ensure all the riding didn't distract me from taking care of the horses.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X