• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPhone, iPad apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPhone, iPad apps

Was reading today that you need Xworks 4.5 and the iOS SDK. Furry muff. Can't download any of the above without an iMac though.

Anyone tried developing apps, without having to buy an iMac? How did you get round this?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Was reading today that you need Xworks 4.5 and the iOS SDK. Furry muff. Can't download any of the above without an iMac though.

Anyone tried developing apps, without having to buy an iMac? How did you get round this?
    You can't but a mac mini is only £499 and expensible so its hardly that expensive.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You can't but a mac mini is only £499 and expensible so its hardly that expensive.
      Worth it?

Comment

IPhone, iPad apps

Xcode surely?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Xcode surely?
          See how tired I am?

Fook I will be glad when I am on the bench for a bit.

Comment

IPhone, iPad apps

And google 'Hackintosh' or 'osx86' for a cheapo alternative!

Comment

You can get OSX running on a regular PC but from what I've heard, trying to use it for development is a pain. If you're going to invest hundreds of hours in something, just buy a Mac.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

IPhone, iPad apps

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You can get OSX running on a regular PC but from what I've heard, trying to use it for development is a pain. If you're going to invest hundreds of hours in something, just buy a Mac.
                Agree d000hg but if you follow the guides that list more or less the same components apple use its normally fine.

For me tho, get a proper Mac! Or IBM pSeries of course...

Comment

I read somewhere you might suffer when you want to plug in your iDevice, which needs full authorisation-chain set up. That might be rubbish, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the case considering they won't let you deploy your own stuff to your own iPad without a valid certificate.

Worth investigating specifically about iOS development on a Hackintosh in case it does throw up specific issues, would be my advice.

Another option is to just buy a Mac and then install Windows on it as dual boot, if you don't mind paying a bit more for your PC for the convenience of running both OS.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X