• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Humps Vs Speed Cushions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Humps Vs Speed Cushions

Wot iz the difference? I don't drive.

There is a bit of a rat run on the streets down from me and they are pushing a proposal to put in humps and cushions.

I'm trying to work out how each will differ the flow and if that will push cars into my street.

The person who drew the plan obviously has never been on the hill where they have proposed 2 'humps', it will take a 4*4 to get up that.

Cheers.

You drive a TVR Tuscan and I swear to god, you'll be resisting the temptation to hire out a road digger to level those bastards.

Every direction I leave the house, I've got to traverse 9 of them. And I paid for the inconvenience through my council tax, just because the lazy, vacant ones in the council office didn't engage any critical thinking.

The only good thing about them was when I had the lowered Nitron suspension on the Griffith, every time we went to my parents, I got the ex to get out of the car to walk the rest of the way. In rain or shine!

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The feckity fecker feckwit fookers at the council are trying to push this through just before the nice wholesome lovely conservation area planning hits our area which they are planning for.

Comment

A speed hump covers the entire width of the road from one pavement to the other.

A speed cushion is a bump in the middle of the road with gaps either side. The idea is that emergency vehicles, which have a wider track (wheels are further apart width-wise) are unaffected and can still drive quickly over them. This also allows buses and white van drivers to race over them too unfortunately.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          You drive a TVR Tuscan and I swear to god, you'll be resisting the temptation to hire out a road digger to level those bastards.
          You should not drive anything as un-environmentally friendly as a TVR. Try a range rover.

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          This also allows buses and white van drivers to race over them too unfortunately.
          And bikes! Thogh if I see a speed hump I usually just use the pavement anyway.

Comment

How can governments still afford all this tulipe blocking up the roads and causing traffic jams? Wouldn't this crap be a good candidate for spending cuts?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              A speed hump covers the entire width of the road from one pavement to the other.

A speed cushion is a bump in the middle of the road with gaps either side. The idea is that emergency vehicles, which have a wider track (wheels are further apart width-wise) are unaffected and can still drive quickly over them. This also allows buses and white van drivers to race over them too unfortunately.
              Ahh, that is interesting.

I can see they have made a path of cushions into the area. From the wrong side for either ambulances or fire engines of course.

There was a fire on the street a couple of years ago, it was snowing, the fire engines could not get up the hill they are wanting to put a bump on.

I'm going to rip the crap out of this application and the fool that proposed it.

Comment

I spoke with some firemen when I did a project at the emergency services and they have mixed feelings about speed bumps. On the one hand, they get shiny new fire engines every couple of years as the suspensions wear out and damage the chassis due to speed bumps. On the other hand, they have to keep replacing colleagues whose backs are put out by the bloody things.

A scandalous waste of public money.

Comment

There is a pretty bad issue with one street being used as a rat run but that all started because they stopped right turns at a main road junction.

The whole process seems to be like wiping your arsehole with newspaper, just pushing the sh1t around.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    There is a pretty bad issue with one street being used as a rat run but that all started because they stopped right turns at a main road junction.

The whole process seems to be like wiping your arsehole with newspaper, just pushing the sh1t around...
                    ...while spending other people's money.

Comment

Working...
                    X