• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is doing the wrong thing for the right reason ever morally justified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is doing the wrong thing for the right reason ever morally justified?

Cannabis-growing couple who donated most of the £400k proceeds they made over six years to charity jailed for three years each.

It doesn't appear to be legally justified.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

It doesn't appear to be financially justified
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

In this case, no, because they are still giving their profits to someone. You can't just claim because you gave it to charity it makes you a better person. What do charities do with money? 75% of it ends up in the pockets of people like us. I've done work for charities and they hemorrhage money

If however they were giving their crop to local multiple sclerosis sufferers then I'd have a different opinion. But in the end they were charging people and operating a business.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          It doesn't appear to be legally justified.
          I agree, it's not legal so even though they used the money for a good cause they would have known they were using an illegal means to accomplish it.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
            In this case, no, because they are still giving their profits to someone. You can't just claim because you gave it to charity it makes you a better person. What do charities do with money? 75% of it ends up in the pockets of people like us. I've done work for charities and they hemorrhage money
            Sure, but if they worked on the other 25%?
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Is this just the "would you kill Hitler" debate?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Interesting opinions.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one myself. Part of me feels that three years is a bit harsh. But there's no denying it wouldn't be if the profits had instead been used to fund holidays for themselves to Disneyland, or a large mansion.

It's a bit like the Trolley Problem, which is a thought experiment in ethics that's all about when it's acceptable to do bad things to achieve outcomes for the greater good, and considers the difference in morality between allowing and causing something bad to happen for good reasons. And then there's the fact that notorious cocaine trafficker Pablo Escobar used to build hospitals, football stadiums and churches for poor communities in his native Columbia, and he sponsored children's football teams. He also had more than 600 police officers murdered at the height of his infamy.

So, on balance, the end doesn't always justify the means, and probably doesn't in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is this just the "would you kill Hitler" debate?

ah. that appears to be left justified

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is the a Blair the war criminal thread?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X