• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a new wind blowing ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a new wind blowing ?

Is it my imagination ?
    Or are we seeing a trend in the rising number of investigations, inquiries etc that are coming up with the goods ?
    phone tapping, Hillsborough, Savile etc.
    All coming out without too much whitewash

I always felt that Blair , Brown etc were having a terrible corrupting effect on this country, and now they are gone. Can it be that the pendulum is swinging ?
    or is it my imagination ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

'Tis the interweb.

Seriously I think part of it is due to the internet and the fact that it's easier for people to publish and publicise information. This also means people can sort out campaigns easier.

Look how easy it is to get Cameron et al to sway to public opinion, and the fact that the media to save money get most of their stories from people on the web as well as the news wires.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Is it my imagination ?
      Or are we seeing a trend in the rising number of investigations, inquiries etc that are coming up with the goods ?

I always felt that Blair , Brown etc were having a terrible corrupting effect on this country, and now they are gone. Can it be that the pendulum is swinging ?
      Agree with that. However, I'm always a little dubious when people have a go at "sanitising" the media. There was a witch hunt at the BBC over the Andrew Gilligan / David Kelly stuff. And the Beeb has also come under fire for everything from Jimmy Savile to Jonathan Woss's phone pranking. I doubt that anyone would disagree that the News Of The World was a sleazefest whose employees deserved the fallout they got from the phone hacking scandal once that scandal had encompassed the bereaved family of a murdered schoolgirl. However, A few naff tabloids that usually do no more than annoy Steve Coogan et al (which is no bad thing if you ask me) is part of the price you pay for having a truly free Press. And a truly free press (with its warts and all) is one of the hallmarks of a free society.

Comment

what is the real news going on elsewhere, while the cirus plays out? That is the question.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Is it my imagination ?

The real question everyone should be asking, how many have been, or will be convicted?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            The real question everyone should be asking, how many have been, or will be convicted?
            MP's enquiries aren't about bringing justice, foolish boy

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It's all stuff that happened under Blair and Brown or earlier. It's providing a nice distraction to all the tulip Cameron and Clegg are allowing to continue unchecked.

Comment

However, A few naff tabloids that usually do no more than annoy Steve Coogan et al (which is no bad thing if you ask me) is part of the price you pay for having a truly free Press. And a truly free press (with its warts and all) is one of the hallmarks of a free society.
                Good post. Actually, there are 2 entirely issues IMO:

a) What private info should be published about any person?
                b) How can that info legally be obtained?

The 2nd is easier to answer. In the cyber age when data is money, it's time we treated theft of any information, whether database, mail or phone hacking, surveillance carried out on private property, theft of printed records or whatever, with the same severity we apply to burglary. Some might think twice.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  what is the real news going on elsewhere, while the cirus plays out? That is the question.
                  I dont know.
                  But sometimes corruption IS the real news

It's always there, in one form or another, but when it's sanctioned from above it can become all-pervasive and debillitating

and almost impossible to fight

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

13 people got shot by the army in Derry treating people they demanded as their citizens who were wanting a vote per person rather than a vote for a house. Thousands of people got killed that day.

I think Cameron had a lot of balls saying sorry.

The inquiry had a lot to do with closure. People still moan about the cost of the inquiry which was a fraction of what we paid on a week to week basis in NI.

Comment

Working...
                    X