• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm depressed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm depressed

Not properly depressed, like need happy pills depressed. This is more of a general malaise.

Contract ending. Nothing on the horizon. Applying for gigs, getting cv s put forward but no interviews.

The thing is, this is normal and I should be looking forward to a wee bit of time off. So why aren't I?

I think one reason is that the big project at client co, is going wrong. I can help. It has been widely recognised I can help. They keep coming to me for help. But won't offer me an extension. I just don't geddit. It's weird. They will mug me off for what they can get while I'm there, and happily let me walk out the door even if this means the project failing.

Don't get me wrong, I've not got tickets on myself. Others could come in and also help, but I'm there, have domain knowledge, have proven my worth and am well liked.

I only have one person there that doesn't want me there. Because he is the one who is fecking things up, and by getting me involved it means he will be exposed. So while everyone knows he is fecking things up, they are happy to let things ride.

Really not sure why this is getting to me this much, but when you see you can help, you just want to. The sheer and utter stupidity, political wrangling and utterly ****ed up bollocks drives me nuts. Why no common sense?

Rant over. I just need to pull my head out my arse and get back to dilligaf mode. Struggling to do this.

Flame away. Not cut out for contracting, yada yada yada
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

It happens to most of us, who care about the work we do, I reckon.

No doubt you'll get flames, but try look on the brightside, I'd rather this than being like most of the permies I meet - 11 years at the same place, bored out of their trees with nothing changing on a year to year basis; let alone day to day.

I'm not convinced its possible to enjoy time off unless you're coming off the back of a super success story contract anyway.

Comment

If only you knew anything about BPM I'm looking for a BA.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        If only you knew anything about BPM I'm looking for a BA.
        Beats per minute?

Comment

You depress me with your dull outpourings of snapshot life in Luton.

Comment

general malaise ?

do something different. something out of character.

if you dont cook, cook.
            if you do cook, get a delivery.
            hire a sports car for the day, buy the missus a straw hat and a ribbon and drive down the town at 20 mph waving at the crowd
            if you walk, get on a bus
            if you dont walk, walk
            just do the opposite of whatever it is you are about to do.

go into the garden with a torch and look for worms

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              You depress me with your dull outpourings of snapshot life in Luton.
              "Brilliant"

At least I'm not you. No longer depressed, well done.

Comment

Learn to play a banjo and depress every other fcker.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Not properly depressed, like need happy pills depressed. This is more of a general malaise.

Contract ending. Nothing on the horizon. Applying for gigs, getting cv s put forward but no interviews.

The thing is, this is normal and I should be looking forward to a wee bit of time off. So why aren't I?

I think one reason is that the big project at client co, is going wrong. I can help. It has been widely recognised I can help. They keep coming to me for help. But won't offer me an extension. I just don't geddit. It's weird. They will mug me off for what they can get while I'm there, and happily let me walk out the door even if this means the project failing.

Don't get me wrong, I've not got tickets on myself. Others could come in and also help, but I'm there, have domain knowledge, have proven my worth and am well liked.

I only have one person there that doesn't want me there. Because he is the one who is fecking things up, and by getting me involved it means he will be exposed. So while everyone knows he is fecking things up, they are happy to let things ride.

Really not sure why this is getting to me this much, but when you see you can help, you just want to. The sheer and utter stupidity, political wrangling and utterly ****ed up bollocks drives me nuts. Why no common sense?

Rant over. I just need to pull my head out my arse and get back to dilligaf mode. Struggling to do this.

Flame away. Not cut out for contracting, yada yada yada
                  There are many not far behind you.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    general malaise ?

do something different. something out of character.

if you dont cook, cook.
                    if you do cook, get a delivery.
                    hire a sports car for the day, buy the missus a straw hat and a ribbon and drive down the town at 20 mph waving at the crowd
                    if you walk, get on a bus
                    if you dont walk, walk
                    just do the opposite of whatever it is you are about to do.

go into the garden with a torch and look for worms

Right. Will ponder this. This advice sounds like you think I am in a rut.

I'm in a rut

Comment

Working...
                    X