• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Eye in the Sky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eye in the Sky

Police say the concerns are unwarranted because everybody is already under surveillance.

"You shouldn't be worried about being spied on by your government," said Commander Heal. "These days you can't go anywhere without a camera watching you, whether you're in a grocery store or walking down the street."

The future of law enforcement was launched into the smoggy Los Angeles skies at the weekend in the form of a drone aircraft intended to bring spy-in-the-sky technology to urban policing.

The unmanned aerial vehicle, called the SkySeer, looks like a remote-controlled toy and fits into a shoulder bag. In the air, the craft is guided by global positioning system coordinates, and a camera fixed to the underside sends video to a laptop command station.

A prototype is being tested by the LA county sheriff's department, which says the SkySeer will accomplish tasks too dangerous for officers, and free helicopters for other missions. "This technology could be used to find missing children, search for lost hikers or survey a fire zone," said Commander Sid Heal, head of the sheriff's department technology exploration project. "The plane is virtually silent and invisible."

The SkySeer, which has low-light and infrared capabilities and can fly at speeds of up to 30mph, would also be able to spot burglary suspects.

Commander Heal believes it will be the first of many unmanned surveillance crafts which will be used in police work. "Who knew five years ago we would be shooting photos and videos with our phones?" he said. "I can see this drone technology replacing some conventional aircraft in 10 years."
    The LA sheriff's department operates 18 helicopters costing £2m to £3m each. The SkySeer costs £15,000 to £23,000.

Although the SkySeer is not yet capable of spying into windows, some critics are uneasy about eyes in the sky monitoring daily life.

"A helicopter can be seen and heard and one can make behaviour choices based on that," said Beth Givens of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. "Do we really want to live in a society where our backyard barbecues will be open to police scrutiny?"

Police say the concerns are unwarranted because everybody is already under surveillance.

"You shouldn't be worried about being spied on by your government," said Commander Heal. "These days you can't go anywhere without a camera watching you, whether you're in a grocery store or walking down the street."

Will they be armed with Hellfire missles...?

That would make them a really cool mobile 'traffic calming' device....
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

A Hellfire is IIRC about 6 foot long, not exactly shoulder bag.

But do like the idea of traffic calming.

Might have some down sides, y'ought to have seen the traffic Jam just a couple of A10s managed in GW1.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I am the eye in the sky
        Looking at you
        I can read your mind
        I am the maker of rules
        Dealing with fools
        I can cheat you blind

And I don't need to see any more
        To know that
        I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Don't say words you're gonna regret
        Don't let the fire rush to your head
        I've heard the accusation before
        And I ain't gonna take any more

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 June 2006, 11:58.

Comment

Need one of these then...

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Funny how the state can always find the money to monitor its own citizens, but effectively monitoring a few exit/entry points to exclude undesirable people and drugs is totally beyond them.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hey that's nothing. I worked on the Raytheon ASTOR project a few years back (back in the good old days when I was an electronics engineer!) and that thing can plot and trace several hundred moving targets (individual humans) from 40,000 ft over a 20 mile square area. I can imagine that stuff being used in situations like that.

Was great - I designed some of that tulip (mainly Xilinx FPGA based hardware DSPs).
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Can it detect illegal immigrants....?
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                  Can it detect illegal immigrants....?
                  If equipped with a Westinghouse Pulse Doppler X-Band Multi-Jilbab Radar...
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X