• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best approach...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best approach...

I'm now on a 6 months contract which ends in late august. I really like the client and the work, but the rate is quite low. I suspect that the agency (a "famous" one from the list) is getting quite a large commission and I want to move part of it on my side after renewal.
    So, in your opinion, when should be the best time to negotiate renewal/pay rate? I have strong points (a good relation with the client, I'm even overqualified a little bit for the present work but they need more in the future ) and my scope is to obtain around 20% raise on my daily rate. Should I discuss in detail with the client first or it is better to negotiate with the agency all the money part?
    I have clauses in my contract so I can't go direct with the client. My best option now given the background is to go for another 6 months WITH that 20% raise. I need the answer with renewal/rise in advance in order to evaluate other options if the reply is negative.

Thanks in advance,

Victor
    The rest is silence...

The only way to negotiate is to have another contract waiting for you, putting you in a win/win scenario. Name and shame the ag*ncy.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

The Agency is Pathway and the agents initials are PR and I claim my £5!

Comment

No Churchill, the agency is Hoaxley . I had a tough time back in the beginning of this year and this is why I have said "yes" to the rate. The contract terms are quite tulipe also, I don't walk because I really enjoy the work and the client. My only problem is the agency and money, of course. So this is why I have asked for the best approach...

Victor
        The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
          No Churchill, the agency is Hoaxley . I had a tough time back in the beginning of this year and this is why I have said "yes" to the rate. The contract terms are quite tulipe also, I don't walk because I really enjoy the work and the client. My only problem is the agency and money, of course. So this is why I have asked for the best approach...

Victor
          Tell them you're not renewing unless you get £x.

Then stick to it.

They'll pay.

Comment

Originally posted by benn0
            Tell them you're not renewing unless you get £x.

Then stick to it.

They'll pay.
            but also be prepared to walk
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Much the same situation here. My agent has told me the client has suggested renewal is likely, and I've told them I'm interested but only if I can get back to my old rate (about 20% more). I don't know whether to talk to the client direct, which will piss off the agent, but at least then both myself and the client can work out the agent's fees and put a squeeze on them.

Hopefully the market will have picked up again come September/October, and that will give a lot more leverage. I was never happy about the rate for this job, and I said no to oppurtunites that were offering more, but I took it because it was a lot more than zero.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I can't see you getting 20%, even though that is what you used to earn. I reckon 10% is possible in hyper boom times. If I were you I'd leave.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X