• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycle Path Rage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle Path Rage

Went for a bike ride today along the Kennet and Avon canal; a route that is an official cycle path.

It all augered well as I set off from Devizes - I issued a good morning to a crowd of ramblers resting up on a verge and in unison they all replied with a hearty, rosey cheeked rejoinder.

But I met some real miserable sods after that and even had abuse hurled on a couple of occasions.

Now, when I come up behind walkers going in the same direction I just slow up and say "excuse me please" so that they can move over and let me through. I prefer this to using a bell - I know from past experience how irritating it is to be strolling along lost in one's own thoughts to suddenly be startled by a "ding! ding!" and to turn round to have some lycra attired twot breathing down your neck.

I'm not an unconsiderate cyclist but I really do feel there are some intolerant people out there.

Think I might give this cycle path thing a miss & stick to the open road.

Why don't you try cycling in the canal itself?

Comment

I do same. We have an old railway rack round here converted to a walking/cycle track. No probs yet except slowing down for dogs/kids. Nuisances!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There is a good cycle path around my way, but there is always a numpty cyclist who insists on cycling on the main dual carriageway through tunnel into winding roads slowing down all traffic. Last time I met such an inconsiderate sod I shouted 'Hoy, fluckwit, use the cycle path' while passing. Don't think he liked that from the hand gestures. It is idiotic as puts them in serious risk of being mown down by a lorry thundering along the blind bend.

Comment

Be grateful you did not meet enraged psychopath.

Comment

Know the route well and never had a problem. But that's because I use a bell which is what everyone expects.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think a proper old-fashioned bicycle bell is rather a cheerful sound.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Know the route well and never had a problem wearing a hockey mask. But that's because I use a chainsaw which is what everyone respects.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Goat View Post
                  Went for a bike ride today along the Kennet and Avon canal; a route that is an official cycle path.

It all augered well as I set off from Devizes - I issued a good morning to a crowd of ramblers resting up on a verge and in unison they all replied with a hearty, rosey cheeked rejoinder.

But I met some real miserable sods after that and even had abuse hurled on a couple of occasions.

Now, when I come up behind walkers going in the same direction I just slow up and say "excuse me please" so that they can move over and let me through. I prefer this to using a bell - I know from past experience how irritating it is to be strolling along lost in one's own thoughts to suddenly be startled by a "ding! ding!" and to turn round to have some lycra attired twot breathing down your neck.

I'm not an unconsiderate cyclist but I really do feel there are some intolerant people out there.

Think I might give this cycle path thing a miss & stick to the open road.
                  Sounds like you encountered a couple of complete cycle paths.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                    Sounds like you encountered a couple of complete cycle paths.
                    I can relate to you, the same way cyclist p*ss me off by getting in my way on the road or when they ride on the right instead of the left cycle lane.

Comment

Working...
                    X