• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie in need to advice before making the jump!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

My first post in what I am hoping to become a regular forum for me in the future.

I am after some advice from people who have made the jump to contracting. I have been working in permanent IT jobs (all in the ITIL/Service Management arena) throughout my career of nearly 15 years and during this time I have progressed through working at 3 or 4 large corporate organisations and now operate at management level. I am currently working at one of the top FTSE companies at the moment, and am considering moving on now to contracting.

I don't have a want to progress my career any further and hence am now looking to move into contracting as I seek to bring some flexibility back into my life and strike a much better work/life balance.

I am really after some advice on how I can find out how hard or easy it will be for me to find contract work. I am not precious about the seniority of any role being comparable to my current (I would much prefer something lower to be honest!) but am looking to see if I can get a steady flow of contract roles. I have uploaded my CV on the usual job sites and get a steady stream of calls but all are for permanent roles of similar spec to mine which is what I guess would be expected. Any contract roles I have applied for get as far as the agency asking me what my notice period is and on hearing 3 months it doesn't go any further.

Can you kind people provide me with advice as to how I can go about pursuing this change in my career and life. On the financial side I have a small income from other investments which can tie me over in the short term (3-6 months) but as you can imagine as with anyone making this decision it feels like a huge step as I would be moving from security to the unknown!!

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Quit permie role, get contract, sorted

HTH - before the mob arrive

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
      Hi All,

My first post in what I am hoping to become a regular forum for me in the future.

I am after some advice from people who have made the jump to contracting. I have been working in permanent IT jobs (all in the ITIL/Service Management arena) throughout my career of nearly 15 years and during this time I have progressed through working at 3 or 4 large corporate organisations and now operate at management level. I am currently working at one of the top FTSE companies at the moment, and am considering moving on now to contracting.

I don't have a want to progress my career any further and hence am now looking to move into contracting as I seek to bring some flexibility back into my life and strike a much better work/life balance.

I am really after some advice on how I can find out how hard or easy it will be for me to find contract work. I am not precious about the seniority of any role being comparable to my current (I would much prefer something lower to be honest!) but am looking to see if I can get a steady flow of contract roles. I have uploaded my CV on the usual job sites and get a steady stream of calls but all are for permanent roles of similar spec to mine which is what I guess would be expected. Any contract roles I have applied for get as far as the agency asking me what my notice period is and on hearing 3 months it doesn't go any further.

Can you kind people provide me with advice as to how I can go about pursuing this change in my career and life. On the financial side I have a small income from other investments which can tie me over in the short term (3-6 months) but as you can imagine as with anyone making this decision it feels like a huge step as I would be moving from security to the unknown!!

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
      Take a course in plastering or stay in IT and move to Bangalore
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The main problem that you will have FreshShart, is that would be moving from security to the unknown. Dont even think about it!! It is a huge step and many people make the jump whilst only having a small income and some other investments that will tide them over for 3 to 6 months at best.
        It could be the biggest mistake you ever make, just forget it. Please.
        Many people dont think it through at all, although you clearly have, and your realisation the rank is immaterial is good, it's all about being in control of your own destiny and the money is good as well.
        You also have a lot of good experience and transferable skills so I would say it's a no-brainer. Go for it and good luck in your new contracting career

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Thanks for that last piece of advice. The bottom line is that it is a lifestyle choice I am thinking about over anything else such as finances, seniority, career etc, as I would happily work for slightly less if it means I get more in the way of focus around my life outside of the working world!

It sounds like there is only one way to find out.....but before I do, do agencies out there provide any advice on whether my skills are easily marketable in contract world? and if so are there any agencies that you would recommend for the ITIL type roles?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
            Thanks for that last piece of advice. The bottom line is that it is a lifestyle choice I am thinking about over anything else such as finances, seniority, career etc, as I would happily work for slightly less if it means I get more in the way of focus around my life outside of the working world!

It sounds like there is only one way to find out.....but before I do, do agencies out there provide any advice on whether my skills are easily marketable in contract world? and if so are there any agencies that you would recommend for the ITIL type roles?

Agencies are there to make money.
            I have never heard of skills being marketed. in my niche , they match a role with a contractor asap in order to keep the other agencies out.
            Agencies are there to make money. They are not your friend

The agents job is to lie to you about how much money they can get you
            The agents job is to lie to the client about how poor the market is and how good you are

The clients job is to lie to the agent about how little budget they have and how much interest there is The clients job is to lie to the contractor about the job spec being ready, what a great team there is

The Contractors job is to lie to the agent about the current rate and how they are being sought after
            The contractors job is to lie to the client about their experience,availability and skills

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

You asked about finding work.

When you are a permie, you have one main area of activity and that is doing the actual job.

As a contractor, you will have 3 areas of activity
              doing the actual job
              finding work
              running the company

the first one will become a lot easier, the politics will be absent(mostly), the pressure will be off (mostly)
              the second two will be new to you and can be very demanding.

i could write a book about going about finding work. you might get some useful tips from the people here, but basically you are going to have to learn it the hard way

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Welcome Freshstart.

What aspect of ITIL are you? Strategy, Design, Transition or Operation?

And are you Project or BAU? Software, support or infrastructure?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Now is not the best time to start contracting, the market is down:

When the IT Contractor market will start rising

My advice is submit your CV and see what response you get, be positive but vague about availability and only make the jump if you are getting interviews.

Better to turn down an offer or two because you were not immediately available than to find out you can´t even get an interview after you´ve resigned.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

The contract market is fairly quiet at the moment, so it is likely to take you several weeks to get each role.
                    Also rates are fairly low as well.
                    So if you are currently earning more than £60K, as is likely in your permie management role, you will probably earn less than that as a contractor.

You shouldn't do it until you have at least a year's worth of money saved up.

At this stage while you are doing research don't tell the agencies you are on 3 months notice. Tell them you are immediately available. Also put on your CV that you are uploading that you are ONLY looking for contract roles.
                    Apply for roles and see how many interviews you get invited to. Less than 1 interview per 10 applications is bad and means something's wrong. Don't go to the interviews - you are only wasting the client's time (on offer of an interview tell the agent that you've just this minute been offered and accepted another 3-month contract, so can't attend).

Then if you decide you still want to go contracting, hand in your notice and in 3 months when you finish start applying.

If the euro crisis blows up further then expect longer unemployed, and having to take less money.

Personally I'm loaded, have no dependents, am intrinsically lazy, love travel, get bored easily, am a hermit, a libertarian, and a freeman o' the land, so contracting is ideal.
                    Last edited by KentPhilip; 28 October 2012, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X