• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netflix vs. Sky - what do you watch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix vs. Sky - what do you watch?

Due to the lack of anything worth watching on Sky*, I decided to start the Netflix free trial at the weekend to see what's available.

It strikes me that there's not a lot of content

What do you watch on Netflix? Do you have it / will you keep it?

It already seeming quite likely that I won't continue with a paid subscription.

And I'm thinking about cancelling Sky after Christmas.

* Sky is great for repeats of Star Trek, Stargate, Simpsons, Futurama, ER, QI, Top Gear and the occasional new series on Sky Atlantic such as Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, but I ain't half getting bored with it!

what do you watch?

Sport, Drama, History ?

each option seems to have its sweet spot. Must admit I only have freeview & Freesat.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      * Sky is great for repeats of Star Trek, Stargate, Simpsons, Futurama, ER, QI, Top Gear and the occasional new series on Sky Atlantic such as Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, but I ain't half getting bored with it!
      Yes, but that's TV. It's not Sky's fault there isn't enough new good TV worth watching. In fact with Sky you've got a much greater chance of seeing any new good TV that is made and by paying for it you're increasing the chances that some new good TV will get made.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

As someone who's not had sky TV over the years I'm finding netflix (over my virgin broadband) ace. All the back issues of Lost, 24, etc. 4400 is really good series - have just watched all 4 series in about 5 weeks of evenings.

Likewise - never had a movie channel subscription, so although a lot of the movies are not current - I've not seen them before.

What surprised me most is that the streaming quality is pretty good I think a lot of it is 720p.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Netflix seems to have tonnes of content, but it is patchy. They have 4 series of breaking bad and are up to date with UK releases of Dexter, but only have 3 series of Weeds.

Lots of Channel 4 and BBC stuff there now - 4OD has it but the quality and UI is better and no adverts.

I find with Netflix the issue is finding it. And it's much better if you trawl through finding something interesting, rather than looking for a specific show.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can set your Netflix to point at US servers (DNS change - Google it) - there's a lot more content.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              You can set your Netflix to point at US servers (DNS change - Google it) - there's a lot more content.
              That's pretty interesting; I had only seen this using VPNs and other stuff which seemed too much hassle.

It's true your Netflix account is global though - we signed up for a trial when in the US and it works in the UK but with different content.

Will have to investigate this.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I made a couple of changes over the past two years and the house is now happy with what we have on offer.

I got a TV with a usb slot for a harddrive, to give the pause and rewind functionality of SKY+ etc.

We went from SKY to Virgin in 2011, then made the plunge and dropped everything but internet.

Now using Netflix, Iplayer and all the other IPTV stuff on my xbox / tv
                with Fibre internet and telephone (weekend and evenings free)

19.99 instead of the £70+ I was spending on virgin / sky , and apart from "Trollied" on sky, we're not feeling like we are missing anything.

Comment

am on BT Vision, went from Sky to that earlier this year, dropped existing ISP, and went wholesale BT saved about £100 per month

BT Vision keeps us all happy, load of kids stuff for my 2 (both under 5), boxed sets of stuff for me and the mrs, add to that iPlayer, ITV player, etc.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    am on BT Vision, went from Sky to that earlier this year, dropped existing ISP, and went wholesale BT saved about £100 per month

BT Vision keeps us all happy, load of kids stuff for my 2 (both under 5), boxed sets of stuff for me and the mrs, add to that iPlayer, ITV player, etc.
                    Is there HD on it now - when I looked there hardly any.

Comment

Working...
                    X