• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed on setting up an investment firm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on setting up an investment firm

Greetings all,

its my first post. i have tried looking through the forums for a similar post but i was unable to locate a similar thread.

My spouse and I have a business model in mind under which we plan to invest in properties outside the UK. we would like to start a firm under which we would like to operate.

Questions for the audience here:

1. will i need to set up an investment firm or specifically a real estate investment firm?
    2. do i need an accountant for the firm from day one?
    3. there is the possibility that we are able to mobilize other investors. should I look at setting up a Venture capital firm? it will be a rather modest venture capital firms (!) but for legal and accounting purposes, will that classification help?
    4. are there accountants who specialize in handling such business(s) especially from the point of view of overseas investment business. any advice? any recommendations?

I thank all of you in advance.

have a good day.

Did you notice this is a contractor site not an overseas property investing one?

but IMO get an accountant from day one. He can advise on costs for setting up and the like which you may miss later on so could possibly save you some pennies or stop you falling foul of something. If you don't take him on at least ask for advice...

The rest? Not a clue.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 October 2012, 23:11.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks a lot for your answer, appreciate it.

i know its a contractor site but also a site with people with vast skillset. apologies but its a compliment to the forum..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Did you notice this is a contractor site not an overseas property investing one?

but IMO get an accountant from day one. He can advise on costs for setting up and the like which you may miss later on so could possibly save you some pennies or stop you falling foul of something. If you don't take him on at least ask for advice...

The rest? Not a clue.
        He???? Ahm, Claire, Lisa, myself....

Anyways, sensible suggestions. Looking at the OP the points are beyond simple comment in a forum, they need more considered advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

Anyways, sensible suggestions. Looking at the OP the points are beyond simple comment in a forum, they need more expensive advice.
          FTFY
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            FTFY
            No comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

Anyways, sensible suggestions. Looking at the OP the points are beyond simple comment in a forum, they need more considered advice.
              Christ knows why I keep saying that. Even my accountant is female :|
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Christ knows why I keep saying that. Even my accountant is female :|
                That's OK, we're not offended. Honest
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Overseas property will mean tax implications where you'll be investing as well as in the UK.

You will probably have to set up a company in the country you want to invest and possibly an investment co in the UK.

Sounds complicated. Quite different from owning a private holiday home.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 October 2012, 13:08.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

all,

thanks a lot for taking the time out to answer. i agree, the business set up is tricky. I am happy to do the admin and spend a little on it if needed.

any recommendations on what should be my starting point? if it's an accountancy firm, any recommendations? If not an accountancy firm, what other avenues could i explore?

thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                    X