• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rotten onions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotten onions

I went shopping today, and got the makings.
    Then when I started cooking, one of the onions from saturday was blooming rotten.
    no problem, i got three more today.

the first one i peeled was also rotten

come on Tescos. get your onions sorted out

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Their peppers are ok

but the onions leave a LOT to be desired
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)

Comment

Rotten onions

I find Tesco's fruit and veg are generally crap and nearly off. I don't bother anymore. I find Asda's fresh produce much better.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm sure quite recently our Tesco had a poster up saying the onion crop was tulip this year and while they apologised the quality was not up to their standards, tough.

Can't say about quality but their veg seems to last forever for us.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

>>> insert obligatory "not knowing your onions" pun here <<<

Comment

Its pretty common to get crap veg in cloggers, I'm assuming all the veg that actually is good quality and tastes nice gets imported to the UK.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I find Tesco's fruit and veg are generally crap and nearly off. I don't bother anymore. I find Asda's fresh produce much better.
              +1 for Asda.

Although I do find that the staff in Asda just can't leave you alone in peace to shop. If it's not some bored shelf stacker trying on some lame chat up lines whilst you're out for a late-night shop, it's their staff at the checkout trying to herd you into the aisle they'd prefer you to use for some inconceivable reason.

Our local Asda has two self-service areas, one with only enough space to pack a single bag, and the other with room for around 4 or 5 bags. If you lift your full bags off of the small area to fill more bags, the machine starts complaining that the weight is wrong, so the small area is completely useless if you've got more stuff than will fit in a single bag. Yet invariably when you're waiting with more items than will fit in the small packing area you find that some prat will come up to tell you that there's a till available on the other side, in a tone that suggests you must be blind or stupid.

Usually it's a staff member with whom you'll have had the self-same conversation in which you've corrected their misconception before. These days I just say "so there is" without looking to where they're pointing, and let them work out from the fact that I'm nonetheless staying put that their 'advice' was profoundly irrelevant to me and that they should go away now.

Even when you try to queue for a staffed checkout to avoid the above, grating, groundhog day discussion, you often find you get some OCD staff member coming up and informing you that there's a checkout at the other end of the shop that has no-one at it. Their implication is that you should walk fifty yards to that one and risk someone else getting there in front of you rather than just wait thirty seconds where you are for the customer in front of you to finish. I'm all for queue busting, but there's helpfully directing people to quieter areas at the busiest times, and there's trying to herd people like sheep when it's quiet anyway.

I find it particularly annoying that they don't just say what they mean. Instead, their 'advice' always just takes the form of telling you something blindingly obvious that you'd need to be stupid not to already know, and to imply by their tone that you should change where you've decided you want to be served based on their unsolicited and often profoundly irrelevant advice. It really grates after the hundredth time you've been subjected to it. It's like their whole workforce has been modelled on that annoying "you don't wanna do it like that!" Harry Enfield character.

Comment

Asda is a twenty minute drive
                Tesco is a fifteen minute walk

when making onion-based decisions, all factors, including Harry Enfield have to be taken into account

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Asda is a twenty minute drive
                  Tesco is a fifteen minute walk

when making onion-based decisions, all factors, including Harry Enfield have to be taken into account

Do you go to that massive tesco in Walkden? I go to that and the veg isn't too bad. M&S is my fave for fruit & veg - always lasts the longest. Jnr loves fruit so the variety there is brilliant too.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Do you go to that massive tesco in Walkden? I go to that and the veg isn't too bad. M&S is my fave for fruit & veg - always lasts the longest. Jnr loves fruit so the variety there is brilliant too.
                    that's the one.
                    it's normally ok

someone ^^^ said there was an announcement about weather damaged crops. but that would apply to asda as well. wouldn't it ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X