• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google maps - driving times - how accurate do you find it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google maps - driving times - how accurate do you find it?

Obviously, traffic is an issue.

But generally how accurate do you find it? Potential gig 100 miles away and its coming up as 2hrs 15 mins. About 2/3 motorway. Seems a bit high.

Hmmm. Possibly a bit far to do daily....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Think it assumes you stick to the speed limit. Oh, you do, don't you!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Obviously, traffic is an issue.

But generally how accurate do you find it? Potential gig 100 miles away and its coming up as 2hrs 15 mins. About 2/3 motorway. Seems a bit high.

Hmmm. Possibly a bit far to do daily....
      Where from - to?

I drive a motorhome about, so times wise, they mean nothing to me. But I have commuted to and from your area a lot, so can advise where the bottle necks will be. HTH.

Comment

Its definitely conservative but without knowing your driving style it'll be difficult to say how much. Plugging in the expected travel time on there is the other way around though. It seems the M25 never has traffic on a monday at 7am

Comment

normally its pretty good,did Walton on Thames run Saturday and it was 3 minutes out (google faster than me).

remember its 'single journey time' as you do it more frequently you will see opportunities to cut journey time.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            Where from - to?

I drive a motorhome about, so times wise, they mean nothing to me. But I have commuted to and from your area a lot, so can advise where the bottle necks will be. HTH.
            Say Severn Bridge to Oxford. Motorhome - now theres an idea.....

Comment

I would go in and out of Newport and the main traffic was coming out of Newport in the morning, and going back to newport in the evening. I'd actually say their 2 hours was extremely optimistic, for you could take 45 mins alone from Severn bridge to newport. Factor traffic around the M5/M4 to M32 in the morning and evening, and Swindon, and I couldn't see that taking only that amount of time.

I used to do Wedmore to Newport in 60 - 75 mins, and that was at 6am there - 3.30pm back and didn't involve the queues in and out of Newport (opposite direction) and the M5/M4 - M32 issues.

I think it's extremely optimistic.

Motorhome has saved me £15k this reporting year. £25k was dropped off Corp tax for AIA purposes, and devalued 9k too. No brainer really. Also helps for IR35 purposes, as it's a mobile office....

Comment

On a clear run that's a good 80-90 mins on M4 and A420/A34 or M5and A40 if not driving like a nutter. Add on the town driving both ends and google could be pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
                  On a clear run that's a good 80-90 mins on M4 and A420/A34 or M5and A40 if not driving like a nutter. Add on the town driving both ends and google could be pretty close.
                  I disagree here. 60 miles used to take me 60-75 mins going against the traffic on the M-Way at stupid O'Clock. That's saying 2:15. I can't see it personally as you are going with the traffic across the bridge and the traffic isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    I would go in and out of Newport and the main traffic was coming out of Newport in the morning, and going back to newport in the evening. I'd actually say their 2 hours was extremely optimistic, for you could take 45 mins alone from Severn bridge to newport. Factor traffic around the M5/M4 to M32 in the morning and evening, and Swindon, and I couldn't see that taking only that amount of time.

I used to do Wedmore to Newport in 60 - 75 mins, and that was at 6am there - 3.30pm back and didn't involve the queues in and out of Newport (opposite direction) and the M5/M4 - M32 issues.

I think it's extremely optimistic.

Motorhome has saved me £15k this reporting year. £25k was dropped off Corp tax for AIA purposes, and devalued 9k too. No brainer really. Also helps for IR35 purposes, as it's a mobile office....
                    Sounds like a good idea with the motorhome. Not cheap mind are they?

I hired one last summer to go to a music fest and that cost me £700 for a weeks hire...

Comment

Working...
                    X