• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company number for self employment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company number for self employment?

Am helping other half set up a business at the mo. The bank is asking for her company number - to which I've said several times - she's a sole trader - not ltd company. They seem to be insistent she'll have some company reference number from HRMC. But the only think I can think of is her Unique Taxpayer Reference for SA purposes. Are they getting the wrong end of the stick or am I not aware of how self employment works (having never gone this route).

What's weird is they've also asked for copies of invoices she's had for some small trial orders she made to China (using my paypal account). However this was not part of the business, just some market research on how to do it all before committing to starting a business. I'm curious as to why they'd want them. Just to make sure we have done research, or ...??

We've given the products to friends and family and asked for feedback after several weeks of use. Its from China and to say their quality standards and business ethics are poor is not a joke. 4 of the suppliers (from 6) have given us utter tulipe - I can see why most people don't bother and buy local. Unfortunately the industry she works in - you need to source from China, even if you source here - it's been imported from there. So I've said before I put any more money in I want proper accounts to record all this crap product as losses against future profits. thankfully we're only talking hundreds, but we need to keep finding new suppliers using the same process, buy, trial, feedback, so were looking at an outlay of several thousand till we get enough suppliers on board. To the point we're now considering a trip out there ;-)
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Are you sure you have picked the right option when opening the account..

I was looking at the Barclays one here

Barclays Personal Banking | ISAs | Barclays latest ISA rates - Barclays

and it says
    Business details

Contact details
    Business name and address, nature of business and legal status
    Start date (if applicable), anticipated turnover and funding requirements
    Incorporation details (if a Limited Company)
    Also if you start the process it gives you two options. One for Sole Trader, and the other option is for everything else...

Sounds like you are trying to open an account connected to an LTD.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like they might be after her UTR - maybe it's part of their money laundering process, to ensure she's registered with HMRC and will be completing a tax return to include the funds that are going through the new bank account.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Am sure you have done the legwork but there is a pretty nice looking guide here...

Setting up as a Sole Trader - Easy Accountancy - Accountants for Freelancers, Sole traders and SME's

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Am sure you have done the legwork but there is a pretty nice looking guide here...

Setting up as a Sole Trader - Easy Accountancy - Accountants for Freelancers, Sole traders and SME's
          Yep - took her to see my accountants on Tuesday. But I'm always up to reading something I haven't read before in case I've missed something. I went along with loads of questions, like will her tax code change and her current employer find out - as she's starting this as a part time business until she has enough clients.

When should she go from Sole trader to Ltd (circa 40k turnover) and is it worth registering the company name now (yes but make it dormant). We already have the webdomain so it stops some cheeky sod coming along and stealing it.

My biggest issue was capitalising the business by a loan from my Ltd. Now sorted - I'm going to charge her the 4% interest that means I don't have to pay beneficial tax on a directors loan. May as well lend it to her and get 4% vs gets 3.5% from ING.

If things go well, I'll be giving up contracting to start a web based business selling the stuff online that she retails to her clients. I may as well as I'm doing 90% of the work to get it from China to our garage! LOL. Making the quantities x100 instead of x10 takes no extra effort. But that will be me and that will be a separate Ltd (I've been divorced once already and will never make the mistake of company shares with a wife again!)

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
            <Snip lotsa good stuff>
            Good bit of homework done there nice one. Hope it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Are you sure you have picked the right option when opening the account..

I was looking at the Barclays one here

Barclays Personal Banking | ISAs | Barclays latest ISA rates - Barclays

and it says

Also if you start the process it gives you two options. One for Sole Trader, and the other option is for everything else...

Sounds like you are trying to open an account connected to an LTD.
              Well - I've got to pop back today to drop in some forms and we have a meeting with the business manager tomorrow. So should get it all sorted then.

Actually just been to the Santanders site as that's who we're using and it's the same there. I think they are just getting confused with "business = company". My guess is too many people start a company instead of taking advice and doing it cheaper... accountant said £250/yr as sole trader vs circa £800 as Ltd. Technically we don't need to use a company name - she can trade as Jospehine Bloggs. Not Super Duper Products. But to sound more professional we've worked out a name (note to self - get off CUK and do the business cards!)

She already has a current A/C with them so gets an extra 6 months free banking. Plus I didn't want to use barclays as I use them already and aren't particularly impressed with their online offering. Getting better, but it doesn't feel integrated. Like lots of portals all linked up. Lets see what Santander are like. Plus - we can walk to their branch in 3 minutes from where we live :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                Sounds like they might be after her UTR - maybe it's part of their money laundering process, to ensure she's registered with HMRC and will be completing a tax return to include the funds that are going through the new bank account.
                I think that's close to it, it just dawned on me - they need to make sure you are a business before giving you a business account - which is why they also want to see the test order invoices. Makes sense now.

They want the number frmo her SA registration declaring she's self employed - as per the link NL posted.

Makes me wonder what we'd have done if we went in before getting the trial orders off.

Comment

My biggest issue was capitalising the business by a loan from my Ltd. Now sorted - I'm going to charge her the 4% interest that means I don't have to pay beneficial tax on a directors loan. May as well lend it to her and get 4% vs gets 3.5% from ING.
                  How do you get 3.5% from ING?

Comment

Actually just been to the Santanders site as that's who we're using and it's the same there.
                    There's your first mistake. Seriously, run like feck far, far away from Santander if you value your time, money and sanity.

Comment

Working...
                    X