• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1st Annual return Help please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Annual return Help please!

Hi, Hopefully you can advise what to do!

Started Ltd last year for hubby todo some contracting inbetween jobs. He managed to get perm job quite quickly so don't use the ltd anymore. Not sure exactly how much work is involved for next step hence my request:

Time for 1st annual accounts. I have done all the record keeping and HMRC stuff. It has been very straight forward money in , wages and petrol out. Will I be able to complete returns to CH myself or will i need to pay an accountant?
    Secondly, Would it be worth keeping company alive incase needed in future (hubby is in manufactoring and we know how well that could pan out!) Or would it be wise to close now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Time for 1st annual accounts. I have done all the record keeping and HMRC stuff. It has been very straight forward money in , wages and petrol out. Will I be able to complete returns to CH myself or will i need to pay an accountant?
    No, you dont need one, ...don't sent reciepts to HMRC unless they ask.

Secondly, Would it be worth keeping company alive incase needed in future (hubby is in manufactoring and we know how well that could pan out!) Or would it be wise to close now.
    Yes, but tell Co House that you are not trading.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did he actually do any contracting?

Search the professional forums and you will see a couple of posts about people wanting to close down dormant or non trading companies.

If that ask for some advice from an accountant.

EDIT : If he only did one contract he won't be able to claim petrol/subsistence so a few threads recently have indicated
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Search the professional forums and you will see a couple of posts about people wanting to close down dormant or non trading companies.

If that ask for some advice from an accountant.

EDIT : If he only did one contract he won't be able to claim petrol/subsistence so a few threads recently have indicated
        think its been mentioned before, can't remember who said tho, but its about whether he intended to do more roles whether its deemed a perm place or employment.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about?
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

He contracted for about 3 months. We were told by an accountant that he could claim fuel as an expence to company...is that wrong??I have already summited the payroll stuff for 2011/2012.

I don't mind keeping company dormant.

The main thing is wether I can do the return stuff myself or not.

Thanks again for help.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              What the hell are you talking about?
              Ugh.. It appears this was to do with brollies not LTD. My bad...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-claims-2.html

Originally posted by ajw View Post
              He contracted for about 3 months. We were told by an accountant that he could claim fuel as an expence to company...is that wrong??I have already summited the payroll stuff for 2011/2012.

Thanks again for help.
              No you are correct. The thread I remembered was related to umbrella's. Forget what I said.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ajw View Post

Thanks again for help.
                General rule of thumb, if you're asking this question, the answer is no. Get professional help, it may not even be that expensive for a little advice.

I mean, you didn't even ask this in the correct section of the forum.
                Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

No you are correct. The thread I remembered was related to umbrella's. Forget what I said.
                  Consider yourself b1tch-slapped.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

its about the intention or doing more roles that matters with claiming expenses with an umbrella

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...a-company.html

Comment

Working...
                    X